How do you fiberglass?

BonusBobo
10+ year member

Lightweight Sesh
How do you do fiberglass boxes? I might want to do a little of that in the future, so I was wondering how that happens and what types of tools, knowledge do I need? Is there a website one of you can link me to that will walk me through the process? Thanks for all the help.

PS: I searched the forums for a while to no avail.

man they r a pain in the a$$ to build they look nice when their dine but i wouildnt bother tryin to do one cause for one the materials r way to expensive (5 gal. $50) i watched my cousin do one and he worked at a audio shop for 4yrs i could get some more info for u if u want

Originally posted by bumpin_8605 man they r a pain in the a$$ to build they look nice when their dine but i wouildnt bother tryin to do one cause for one the materials r way to expensive (5 gal. $50) i watched my cousin do one and he worked at a audio shop for 4yrs i could get some more info for u if u want
Yeah dude, bring it on.

Actually it's not as hard as eeryone seems to think. It just takes some practice. To practice with glassing go down to your local walmart. And pick up a kit. It's like $10 and comes with some mat and cloth, and polyester resin. Not very much of course. But enough for you to play with so you can understand how it works. Here are a couple of links with some very useful and helpful instructions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://www.caraudioresources.net

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

P.S. there is also a very informative thread over at termpro.com in the fabrication forum. It has answers to practicaly every question you could ever want answered. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by ramos Actually it's not as hard as eeryone seems to think. It just takes some practice. To practice with glassing go down to your local walmart. And pick up a kit. It's like $10 and comes with some mat and cloth, and polyester resin. Not very much of course. But enough for you to play with so you can understand how it works. Here are a couple of links with some very useful and helpful instructions. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

http://www.caraudioresources.net

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

P.S. there is also a very informative thread over at termpro.com in the fabrication forum. It has answers to practicaly every question you could ever want answered. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
sweet, thanks ramos and q45 guy. I think I'll do a combination of all the suggestions.... somehow....

If ya got any questions just let me know. I can try to help you out. It's not really difficult. Just be patient. That's the key. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by ramos If ya got any questions just let me know. I can try to help you out. It's not really difficult. Just be patient. That's the key. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Speaking of patient and questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You have any more info on the deatials of fabric/woven (i think woven is what I mean..)? I haven't seen any more activity on the 'welcome back ramos' thread where you said you were still reading //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Wondering about sandwiches/composits and strength versus just 3 - 4 layers of fabric (you mentioned double bias.. know where I can look over some inventory for that?)

Yeah man. check out http://www.fiberglast.com they have very good explanations of the different types and weights of mats. And the uses of each. And they also sell several different composites and woven mats. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by ramos If ya got any questions just let me know. I can try to help you out. It's not really difficult. Just be patient. That's the key. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

same here.....if ya got questions i'd be more than happy to help as well.....as for the guy that says its to expensive to do it yourself.....have you every priced getting a fiberglass box made for u???? probably 3x as much as doing it yourself.....

Originally posted by Goddyd4me same here.....if ya got questions i'd be more than happy to help as well.....as for the guy that says its to expensive to do it yourself.....have you every priced getting a fiberglass box made for u???? probably 3x as much as doing it yourself.....
Sweet, I'll hook it up with some questions as soon as I make the committment and spend some money on the supplies. You guys are the ****.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.