how do these guts stack up?

Tahoe12

Okc
hey guys,

picked this old amp up today. its about a thousand watt amp. at the time it came out it was VERY well regarded, and is still looked upon fondly. my question for those who know amps is, how well does this hold up to todays thousand ish watt amps? any thoughts?

Probably made with better quality parts than budget amps today.

Can't tell what class it is (A, B, AB, D, ect.), but that might dictate its sound

Judging by the size of the internal components and its age, I doubt it would like being wired to a low impedance.

What kind of info/opinions are you really wanting?

Some people swear by old school gear. I'd rather invest in a higher end modern amp. Electrical components like capacitors have a lifespan, and it's not forever.

that's definitely a class ab, look at the way the gate resistors are set up for the output transistors

judging by what i see, it looks like what a 1kw amp should be, maybe a little beeifer - but im honestly no expert.

Probably made with better quality parts than budget amps today.
Can't tell what class it is (A, B, AB, D, ect.), but that might dictate its sound

Judging by the size of the internal components and its age, I doubt it would like being wired to a low impedance.

What kind of info/opinions are you really wanting?

Some people swear by old school gear. I'd rather invest in a higher end modern amp. Electrical components like capacitors have a lifespan, and it's not forever.
its an old rockford punch power 500.2 in chrome (1998 model). im really just hoping to have a constructive discussion on amps, but also figure out if its worth sending to either rf, or another quality repair shop to refurbish (ive got $90 into it so far. good price for a kilowatt i thought)

that's definitely a class ab, look at the way the gate resistors are set up for the output transistors
judging by what i see, it looks like what a 1kw amp should be, maybe a little beeifer - but im honestly no expert.
thanks!

I disagree, its definitely worth refurbishing.

Even after refurbishing it you'll never lose much money if you sold it later on, which cant be said about the new amps as they rarely can be fixed anymore due to the surface mount components used now.

I disagree, its definitely worth refurbishing.
Even after refurbishing it you'll never lose much money if you sold it later on, which cant be said about the new amps as they rarely can be fixed anymore due to the surface mount components used now.
no way that amp will sell for more than 150-200..

Can't beat o/s amps. Some were built so good to last a long time.
They were. I actually have several, and a few new amps as well. Theres no doubt the new amps bring more to the table in terms of watts per dollar, flexibilities, etc, but i sure love the stuff like this for pure nostalgia's sake!

Anyone know where i can get it rechromed (its in "good" shape, but if im going to run it id love it to be mint!

They were. I actually have several, and a few new amps as well. Theres no doubt the new amps bring more to the table in terms of watts per dollar, flexibilities, etc, but i sure love the stuff like this for pure nostalgia's sake!
Anyone know where i can get it rechromed (its in "good" shape, but if im going to run it id love it to be mint!
To each their own, crazy talk to get that amp fixed/refurbed and then money into re chromeing it, you could buy a new amp for that price. But to each their own

Not the one the OP posted as it broken and doesn't work.
Why in the world would you say it doesnt work? Please read my post agai, cqrefully. It works flawlessly, ill say it again...im only interested in sending it to rf to have it refurbed (inspected and any questionable parts replaced) in the intrest of continued longetivity!

To each their own, crazy talk to get that amp fixed/refurbed and then money into re chromeing it, you could buy a new amp for that price. But to each their own
I dont mind spending money restoring amps. Something i enjoy doing! I do thank you for your input, though! (I mean that honestly!) I do have larger more powerful, newer amps, fwiw.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.