How do I get bass out of my door speakers?

Ok can I get some suggestions on what components to buy for good mid bass, my door speaker holes are for 5x7s, what all can I fit into those slots? Also how many sq ft of deadener will I need per door, 4? I would like to keep my budget down to a 100 a pair or as much below that as I can lol.

I didn't read all the comments. But, I have Rockford Fosgate punch 2way 6X8 door speakers on Kenwood ddin radio. I turn hpf on the radio on. No bass for interior. Sounds good and clean. Now when I want no subs. I can tune my radio for interior has bass. Sounds good. I got door and speakers area sound dented. And no amp for interior. And to me Rockford Fosgate punch speakers sound amazing. I'm very impressed atleast with them. Know a lot of people that are.

Also i just found a Rockford p2002 in my closet, tested it on some old speakers and it works. If I throw that on my front or back door speakers will it make a decent difference til I have the budget to get better components and a four channel?

JBL GTO8628

calebkhill, think about what you're saying about doing speaker upgrades before sound deadening. If the speaker "enclosure", as in the door, is made to be a superior enclosure then how could the stock speakers not sound better? Especially if products are put in place to block road noise, this benefits in more audible output without adding any power. You're making the speakers sound better without changing anything but the door.

JBL GTO8628calebkhill, think about what you're saying about doing speaker upgrades before sound deadening. If the speaker "enclosure", as in the door, is made to be a superior enclosure then how could the stock speakers not sound better? Especially if products are put in place to block road noise, this benefits in more audible output without adding any power. You're making the speakers sound better without changing anything but the door.
I understand where your coming from, but were talking about midbass, probably the hardest area to achIeve.

Stock speakers, hu power, I just don't see a whole lot of improvement trying to get anything out of that set up by deadening.

Probably just lead to disappointment.

On the other hand, amping a decent comp set will show instant improvement, then that's when you follow up with deadening.

how many sq ft of deadener am i gong to need for four suv doors or per door? is there a general rule of thumb on that. Also I have no idea how you go about sealing your doors, or is it kinda the same thing as when i lay down the sheet of deadener
EDIT: what i mean to say is sealing and deading two completely seperate proccesses?
I understand where your coming from, but were talking about midbass, probably the hardest area to achIeve.Stock speakers, hu power, I just don't see a whole lot of improvement trying to get anything out of that set up by deadening.

Probably just lead to disappointment.

On the other hand, amping a decent comp set will show instant improvement, then that's when you follow up with deadening.
You are terribly incorrect

The main reason for sealing doors is to keep the rear wave of the speaker from interfering with the front wave. With out the seals the waves combine which being inverted sound waves this causes cancelation.

Cancelation is the biggest down fall to mid bass not product quality

Keephopealive recently switched from a pair of 30 buck mids that he swore he wouldn't due to the fact that the cheap midbasses performed so well. He's an acoustical engineer who excels at sq installs

So go do some research before you try telling someone what to do

Op I suggest a set of I'd ctx6.5 components on a decent 75w each with about 8-10sqft of deadener per door. Weather stripping inbetween the speaker mounting ring and the door card both under and over the ring can make a great deal of difference

Look up keephopealive's accord in the build log section lots of info there

Well, all I can say is spend the money on deadener, then telO us if your satisfied with the sound.

If not then you'll have to deal with it until you save up more money for new drivers and amp...

Well, all I can say is spend the money on deadener, then telO us if your satisfied with the sound.
If not then you'll have to deal with it until you save up more money for new drivers and amp...
He already has aftermarket speakers and he just found an amp idk where you think he said he had factory speakers. He has kenwood excelon 5x7s which will produce copious amounts of mid bass if installed correctly

Yes an amp will help yes they have better speakers out the but no better speakers isn't the next best move.

I've deadened factory doors for every car I've owned and it makes a tremendous difference you must not of ever done this correctly or you would know this

He already has aftermarket speakers and he just found an amp idk where you think he said he had factory speakers. He has kenwood excelon 5x7s which will produce copious amounts of mid bass if installed correctly
Yes an amp will help yes they have better speakers out the but no better speakers isn't the next best move.

I've deadened factory doors for every car I've owned and it makes a tremendous difference you must not of ever done this correctly or you would know this
Thank you. I was hoping OP wouldn't go towards caleb's suggestion.

i am a huge proponent of door treatments.

let's talk and show what that means.

Seals

Door seals are vital, as mentioned above. You need to recognize that you are changing the factory system which has seals on the rear and front of the speakers. the plastic door panel IS THE FRONT SPEAKER BAFFLE in a stock door. The seal between the speaker and that door panel is what provides midbass. A lot of stock systems have good midbass response simply because the speakers are efficient and as well sealed as possible. When people drop in aftermarket speakers, they almost always neglect that stock seal. All it takes is a $4 roll of closed cell foam weatherstripping around the front of the woofer. That seal alone, even without deadening, will make a good difference and is the bare minimum for any speaker install. it is so important, i think all speakers should come with that in the box!

we also want to turn the door cavity into a sealed enclosure. we want to close up the large holes that provide access. i use wood or sheet metal with screws. note any wood used should be waterproof.

Deadening

This concept is basically to reduce how long the metal rings out. for example, rap your kuckles on the metal in several places. listen to how long the sound lasts after you hit it. each part of the car sounds different and it's worse in the middle of large panels. simply adding stiffening will help a lot. on a budget, just taking treated plywood and siliconing it to the outer door skin (inside the door) would make an audible difference. viscoelastic and elastomeric sound damping products do a great job with less weight. You don't see people putting wood inside their doors, but that doesn't mean it won't work. think about it this way - if you build a speaker enclosure, what do you use? would you use thin sheet metal with holes and a plastic front baffle? nope. so our effort is to turn this hollow metal cavity into a valid speaker enclosure that is rigid and non-resonant.

absorption

this is also neglected in doors but adding sound absorption is equally vital. we need to not only isolate the rear wave from the front but also absorb it. if we don't, the rear sound will bounce around inside the cavity then come back out through the speaker cone later. preventing the rear wave from coming back to the cone is one of the most vital aspects of speaker enclosure design for midrange and midbass. I achieve this with bags of fiberglass batt insulation. a cheap solution that has worked for 50 years. the bags just keep it from getting wet and are thin as possible (i use 1mil plastic).

examples:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html

doorfiberglassbags008.jpg

doorfiberglassbags014.jpg

doorfiberglassbags015.jpg

Silver Flute 6.5

doorfiberglassbags016.jpg

replaced with German Maestro Status

IMG_20130414_162505_249.jpg

But the Silver Flute gave more midbass when ran in a 3-way. so i'll likely put the Silver Flute back in teh doors as midbass and move the German Maestro to new kick pods.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Factory Door - remove panel, remove all wiring clips, remove factory speaker, and clean all metal surfaces

2005tC_doors004.jpg

Trace the factory speakers and make a new baffle out of 3/4" MDF

2005tC_doors005.jpg

Mount using the factory speaker rivet holes and a 1.5" 10-24 machine screw and bolt.

2005tC_doors002.jpg

Test fit before deadening

2005tC_doors001.jpg

You can't let MDF get wet - deaden the baffle

2005tC_doors006.jpg

Cover it 100%

2005tC_doors008.jpg

but don't cover the mounting holes! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2005tC_doors007.jpg

you must protect the speaker from rain water. i use 3/4" closed cell foam weatherstripping along the top of the inside of the opening. gives the water a channel to follow AROUND the speaker.

2005tC_doors020.jpg

then deaden the seam between the baffle and the door and over the foam

2005tC_doors023.jpg

Hertz Mille MLK-165 pics

2005tC_doors017.jpg

2005tC_doors016.jpg

2005tC_doors014.jpg

2005tC_doors012.jpg

so how do you seal those **** holes?!?!?

with sheets of aluminum with a layer of BXT II on each side and a layer of CCF on one side, that's how. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

then you use a ton of self-piercing sheet metal screws

IMG_1560.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.