How do I get bass out of my door speakers?

kabosh
10+ year member

So I'm interested in getting some decent speakers for my doors in my 99 mountaineer. Right now I have excelon series coaxial 5x7's in my doors and they sound ok, they have hardly any bass and the bass they do have doesnt sound very good. Now is that because I have them powered by my head unit (also excelon) and not powered by an amp, or should i replace them. I'm looking to get a decent thump out of my regular speakers so I don't have to fool with a sub for the time being and can still be moderately happy. Nothing crazy though. I want it to sound good while doing so as well. If I get an amp to push these will they have good bass and sound pretty good, or should i get some nice components? How do you get bass out of your door speakers? Also is deadening my doors part of the solution? I honestly just have No idea how to setup a good sounding speaker system. All ive really fooled with is subs, while just hooking up my speakers to my cd player and going. I've tried doing the research to find what im looking for on this but it seems to be a lot more complicated then setting up my 1 12 was lol. Any tips on components,amps, or just how to improve the ones I currently have is greatly appreciated.

You can start out by sealing and deadening your doors. That should help out a good bit with the midbass.
how many sq ft of deadener am i gong to need for four suv doors or per door? is there a general rule of thumb on that. Also I have no idea how you go about sealing your doors, or is it kinda the same thing as when i lay down the sheet of deadener

EDIT: what i mean to say is sealing and deading two completely seperate proccesses?

how many sq ft of deadener am i gong to need for four suv doors or per door? is there a general rule of thumb on that. Also I have no idea how you go about sealing your doors, or is it kinda the same thing as when i lay down the sheet of deadener
EDIT: what i mean to say is sealing and deading two completely seperate proccesses?
Sealing is covering the holes in the sheet metal. You want to fill as many in as you possibly can. For deadener use the 25% coverage rule. You only need to apply it to the flat surface areas of the outer and inner sheet metals. Curved metals or braces are more resistant to vibrations than the flat parts.

Um. I doubt deadening is gonna do anything with those running off the head unit......And 5x7s aren't meant for good bass and midbass.....
Doesnt matter what he is running. To get good bass he will have to seal and deaden his doors. Even running 5x7's off of HU power will improve in bass output.

Doesnt matter what he is running. To get good bass he will have to seal and deaden his doors. Even running 5x7's off of HU power will improve in bass output.
Its still gonna sound like crap if he deadens first.

I say get the components first and then deaden.

hushmat door kit usually 4sqft

Its still gonna sound like crap if he deadens first.I say get the components first and then deaden.
The midbass will become more alive if he seals and deadens the doors... It'll still be lacking midbass if he gets components and doesn't seal and deaden...

The midbass will become more alive if he seals and deadens the doors... It'll still be lacking midbass if he gets components and doesn't seal and deaden...
Not necessarily.

A lack of power and a good driver is the main concern.

Deadening is just for improvement.

Crappy speakers on crappy power will sound crappy no matter what you do.

I would never deaden before I upgraded my drivers.....

Not necessarily.A lack of power and a good driver is the main concern.

Deadening is just for improvement.

Crappy speakers on crappy power will sound crappy no matter what you do.

I would never deaden before I upgraded my drivers.....
Do some research.

All 3 need to be done: amp, better speakers, and door treatment.

The order is really not that serious as long as it all gets done.

Just remember OP, to get the BEST extension from your speakers, seals and deadening are essential

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.