How do I determine the largest enclosure that can possibly fit into my trunk

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay, my question is simply this, what parameters do i need to measure to determine the maximum width, height, and depth of an enclosure can be while still sliding into my trunk.

The box is going into a 2002 Infiniti I35 (same as 00-04 maxima)

The trunk looks like thisView attachment 26545996

It is roughly 34 inches deep, 18-19 inches high, and 40 inches between the hinges

the trunk opening is tricky its 35 inches wide at the bottom, but gets progressively wider up top ending at 38 inches, the straight line gap between bottom to top is 19.5 inches

trunk possible box volume

width:38" max

height: 18" max

depth:31" max

I know its a cluster f, but can anyone help me understand how to figure this out, I would be grateful

I prefer building a frame out of 1x2's as cardboard is too easy to flex past tight spots...
not the **** i use ..i work at a corrugated box plant so i use 90lb board or doublewall ...no flex...op im in louisville too ..of you want me to get you some board i might be able.to

I'm trying to build the biggest box for one single 18, likely a sundown 18" zv4, lol nasty i know the cardboard that you speak of, we occasionally get it on the bottoms of pallets at my work, would i be able to just cut the side of the box out and see it will fit withou bottoming out or hitting top

Take the dimensions of where the box will sit permanently and then measure the void behind the wheel well against the opposite trunk opening and see if that dimension is larger. If it is, then you can fit the box. If not, consider making the box narrow enough to fit through the trunk width and then make up the difference in depth.

Of course, the latter option will likely interfere with your spare tire access and if so, then consider smaller subs. ;-)

Take the dimensions of where the box will sit permanently and then measure the void behind the wheel well against the opposite trunk opening and see if that dimension is larger. If it is, then you can fit the box. If not, consider making the box narrow enough to fit through the trunk width and then make up the difference in depth.
Of course, the latter option will likely interfere with your spare tire access and if so, then consider smaller subs. ;-)
I can't get to my spare tire without pulling my whole system apart... I'm just gonna put it behind the passenger seat and hide my battery and wiring under there, I can't open my right rear door anyway.

Build it.Check fit.

Retrofit/Modify as necessary...

haha that's been my my strategy (not that it's served me that well)
My box barely fit, it took me, my dad, and my grandpa all pushing on different pieces of carpeting in my trunk to get the box to slide in.

I'm trying to build the biggest box for one single 18, likely a sundown 18" zv4, lol nasty i know the cardboard that you speak of, we occasionally get it on the bottoms of pallets at my work, would i be able to just cut the side of the box out and see it will fit withou bottoming out or hitting top
you can cut the side to get a idea of height and depth ..but id advise mocking one up usin carboard and tape ...make it lil bigger than u think will fit ..and the try it ..then if it doesnt fit cut a lil off and try again..repeat ..its really the best way to know. a box will fit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.