How do I add tweeters?

Participant count
  • Participant list

turtlestrap

Oregon
Just installed a 2 channel amp for my front speakers. When I took the doors apart I found the previous owner installed Infinity reference 6.5 component system but removed the crossover and tweeter but left the mid.

My amp is a RF P400-2 that does 100W x2 @ 4 ohms and the 6.5 mids are rated at 90w @ 4 ohms each.

Should I look for a tweeter/crossover set or tweeters/capacitor? And how much power should I look for? does the amp split the power evenly between the mid and tweeter?

Just installed a 2 channel amp for my front speakers. When I took the doors apart I found the previous owner installed Infinity reference 6.5 component system but removed the crossover and tweeter but left the mid.
My amp is a RF P400-2 that does 100W x2 @ 4 ohms and the 6.5 mids are rated at 90w @ 4 ohms each.

Should I look for a tweeter/crossover set or tweeters/capacitor? And how much power should I look for? does the amp split the power evenly between the mid and tweeter?
It splits the frequencies, so that would make less current go to the tweeter. Get a set of tweeters and x-overs. I used to have that set, it's decent, but absolutely unimpressive. If you just want it have the high end, you can get a tweeter/x-over combo for under $100 (those speakers as a set aren't much more than that), even try the classifieds. If you want something better, I say look at a whole new component set all together.

Thanks for the input //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah amping them sounds alot better than being ran off the head unit power, but still leaves more to be desired.

I will just buy a whole new set altogether, no point spending that much on just the tweeters when a new set can be had for a little more.

Thanks for the input //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yeah amping them sounds alot better than being ran off the head unit power, but still leaves more to be desired.

I will just buy a whole new set altogether, no point spending that much on just the tweeters when a new set can be had for a little more.
Agreed. Try out something nice if you've got the budget.

There are. Separating the tweeters allows you installation flexibility, meaning you can mount the tweeters higher and have a properly raised sound stage. If you're confined by a tight budget, you may way to stick with coaxials as stretching the dollar for some iffy components may prove to be disappointing. Pioneer TS-D components can be had for $100 on amazon and I prefer them over infinity reference and polk db by a big margin. They're just about on par with Alpine type-r.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.