How can I repair this sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

PR1M3R
10+ year member

I have a JL audio 12W6V1 (old school) and the spider is pulling away from the landing.

It's only about 3in area that is coming up.

I started to notice a rattle to the left sub and did not know jack about subs then. Bought an entire new set up. After everything I have learned in the last couple months I thought maybe tinsel slap. But it's the spider coming off the landing.

Correct me if I am wrong because this is just a guess, but I think the spider being loose allowed the coil to come off center and make the rattle sound?

So is there a certain way I should fix this? Or can I just glue it down? What kind of glue? Anything I can get local that will work?

If it's only a small section of spider that has pulled away the coil should still be properly alligned.. glue it down with some CA or epoxy..

If you are worried the coil is out of wack you should pull the dustcap, shim the coil, and reglue the spider..

Since the sub is so old do you think it would be smart to just do that anyway? I don't want to have to re glue it again later.

Any tutorials on doing this? I have never repaired a sub before and shimming a voice coil seems a little risky for me without some help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.