How can I repair crack on actual speaker?

Terrum

Sep 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I accidentally cracked the speaker of my JL 15". It still works, but I am afraid of increasing the volume in case the crack gets worse.

What would be the best cause of action to repair this? If I should glue it, what would be the best kind of glue to use? Epoxy, silicone, any other suggestions? Opinions on coffee filters?

I did try search but most results seem to be about gluing the rubber/surrounds. But I apologise if this post is already answered.

Many thanks for any help!

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Throw some 5 min epoxy on the back side and call it a day.

Terrum

Sep 4, 2013
United Kingdom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Yes you can use it on the front. Just going to be uglier.

Never listen to those blog recommendations. Elmers glue and a coffee filter is hilarious. :ROFLMAO:

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
5,000+ posts
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I accidentally cracked the speaker of my JL 15". It still works, but I am afraid of increasing the volume in case the crack gets worse.

What would be the best cause of action to repair this? If I should glue it, what would be the best kind of glue to use? Epoxy, silicone, any other suggestions? Opinions on coffee filters?

I did try search but most results seem to be about gluing the rubber/surrounds. But I apologise if this post is already answered.

Many thanks for any help!
CA glue!

Screenshot_20210707-131913_Amazon Shopping.jpg

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
Elmers glue and a coffee filter is hilarious.
Actually seems reasonable for say a 50W paper cone on some old bookshelfs or a guitar cab type speaker.
The crack doesn't appear deep enough for it to show on the back side.
Which means that's not the cone but just some cosmetic bit. I like Amazing Goop brand glue for a lot of speaker repairs. Shoe Goop comes in black and may look slightly better to just smear a little on there to keep that crack from spreading. Honestly you could probably just stick some gorilla tape on there and be fine.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I wouldn’t spend on something very expensive. You could likely try and even the crack our, tape it off and use some super glue since I doubt it’s going to effect anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds