How bad are these caps?

kcr357

Senior VIP Member
Aug 12, 2012
ft laud

Just bought a rockford 800.4 for 155 shipped. Seller said no issues other than missing endcaps and rf badge. The bass knob was broken off inside the potentiometer, removed the cover to take it out and found these.

OP
K

kcr357

Senior VIP Member
Aug 12, 2012
ft laud
Fwiw I'm 40, i should've known better but i cant go through life thinking everyone out there is a fuckwit. Better I get boned than some kid buying his first system with grass cutting money. I'll fix it or sell it as is with an honest appraisal of the condition
Lesson learned, you should have known better. It stings but it could be worse.

staan

CarAudio.com Veteran
May 10, 2016
la
how about hook it up and see if its working and realize that a hella old amp, if it works it works those caps coulda swole a little after 5 years and still been humming along for another 10. especially before you get in a buncha drama

what you want? a warranty on a 20 yo amp?

OP
K

kcr357

Senior VIP Member
Aug 12, 2012
ft laud
how about hook it up and see if its working and realize that a hella old amp, if it works it works those caps coulda swole a little after 5 years and still been humming along for another 10. especially before you get in a buncha drama

what you want? a warranty on a 20 yo amp?
I want the seller to refund the difference in price between the stated condition and what it would cost to get it to that point. Or he can just take it back. Either one.
I'll sell it to you for 155 shipped since ya got so much faith in it. Lmk!

Reactions: THATpurpleKUSH

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Order new caps, remove the swelled up caps, replace with brand new caps, enjoy some old RF goodness. Just make it a project. Caps don't cost much. For the record, I have had several old RF amps with swollen caps and never had issues with functionality.

OP
K

kcr357

Senior VIP Member
Aug 12, 2012
ft laud
Order new caps, remove the swelled up caps, replace with brand new caps, enjoy some old RF goodness. Just make it a project. Caps don't cost much. For the record, I have had several old RF amps with swollen caps and never had issues with functionality.
You buyin?

ampjunkielikeme

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Nov 26, 2007
nash, tn
Those caps look fine to me.. The heat deforms the plastic tops over time. Nothing to worry about.
Now if you can't push the top of the caps down flat, and they feel like the metal under the top has puffed up. Or if they are leaking they should be replaced..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds