How about custom amps?

They wouldn't be allowed use in competition. They are not factory produced.

I looked up the dB Drag 2002 rulebook and this is what it said...

"5-3 All auto sound amplifiers must be linear in nature.

Additional Guidelines:

· The amplifiers used in the sound system should be designed for audio reproduction. For clarification purposes, the amplifier’s output waveform should be a close facsimile to that of the input signal. In addition, the amplifier’s output magnitude should be proportional to that of the input signal. All of these guidelines apply to frequencies between 20 and 80 Hz. The determination as to whether an amplifier is acceptable for use in dB Drag Racing competition shall be at the sole discretion of the dBDRA.

· No embedded active power sources (such as batteries) may reside inside of the amplifier."

Did the rule change? I think there are different rules for different comps yes?

Yeah cause when the vfl 1000.1 came in, a lot of guys were worried that they wouldn't be allowed to compete with them, because they had to be shipping from dealers before a certain date. As in avail to the public for mass purchase. I am pretty sure one off amps are not allowed. There has been a lot of rule changes between 02 and now...lol.

Way to many variables for custom amplifiers, Subs are easy to do and not very spendy.
I wouldnt say subs are easy to do, you have to know how different materials will change the T/S specs and such. But in correlation with custom amps, you could say it would seem easy to do.

If you want to pay for someone to design your own amp and are willing to pay the hefty price go for it someone probably will.. But your asking for a new layout and all that's rough considering companys normally take a lot of time and money to do this and when they are finishe they keep it the same for a while with minor tweaks because it takes time to design that ****, and test it plus parts... You could get a lot wrong before you get it right and you cannot have it the same as someone with a patent on it already

Just a thought... with all the custom subs and rebuild houses around, how come there are no well-known amp "hotrod" shops that specialize in modding or building amps from the ground up?
There are...

I would be willing to bet the difficulty and parts availability would be the main thing. Finding boards and **** to piece together.
Anything you find in a typical 12VDC design these days can be sourced from places like Mouser or Digi-Key.

It would cost more than the typical user here would be able to afford.

Let me rephrase that, Sub building is far cheaper then building amplifiers.
Yes or no, depending on how deep you're looking at it...

Building an amplifier from a schematic can be done in a typically-equipped electronics workshop, building your own sub from scratch isn't going to happen without very expensive milling tools (or the ability to purchase OEM'ed parts in quantity).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.