Horrid AM/FM Reception. HELP!

Participant count
  • Participant list

d0eb0y

Hello everyone. Im new to the site, stumbled upon it looking for some answers to my issue and this seems like a place filled with very knowledgeable people.

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty. Have had 2 head units in the car, currently a Kenwood ddx418, and both have had horrible am/fm reception. I mean HORRIBLE. I cant remember if the factory head unit had any issues with am/fm because i basically replaced it the same week i got the vehicle and just dont remember. Its very staticy. and ive noticed if i have the wipers on the static basically goes along with the motion of the wipers, if u can understand...lol. Im wondering if it may be a grounding issue or if there is some other things i can check out to see what is going wrong. The head unit is currently grounded to the harness ground, im wondering if i should ground it to the chassis.

I have also found 2 connectors on the antenna wire, one in the drivers side pillar, and one in the rear, under the head liner right before it goes to the antenna on the roof. Both have been cleaned and seem secure. Its just driving me nuts and can not even listen to am/fm at all as it is very non-enjoyable.

sorry for such a long post, im just at my wits end with this...any help appreciated

thank you.

Jerry

Some HU's have poor reception out of the box. I know that I looked at several Kenwood units that were guilty of this, but your issue does sound like a ground loop or induction issue.

Just as an aside, Metra offers an amplified AM/FM antenna (Stock No. 44-UA200)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.