Hooking up car radio in shop.

Participant count
  • Participant list

sthib
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
la
My buddy wants to hook up a car radio in his shop. I know I can just buy a boom box but where is the fun in that!!!! My question is does anyone have a link to the converter is will need to step down the 110 socket too run the radio amp possibly an amp.

I thought about that but thought there would be a converter that might come out cheaper that a deep cycle battery and charger. That was plug an go. I I can't find a converter I will go that route. I done ice chest radios that way

How much power does your buddy want to run in his garage? Watts RMS total?

He just needs a DC power supply that will do 12 to 14volts at the appropriate current.

If he intends to push much power at all, a good power supply is going to cost almost as much as a basic battery & trickle charger.

^^^ That's what I was going to suggest if you not wanting to use a battery and power supply. I've been using a cpu power supply for a sub amp in my garage for a couple years now...does good. Though, I haven't tried with a head unit and the amp is a little 100 watt rms Dual (don't laugh, it was 30 bills at Walmart and I was in a hurry...on a Sunday)

^^^ That's what I was going to suggest if you not wanting to use a battery and power supply. I've been using a cpu power supply for a sub amp in my garage for a couple years now...does good. Though, I haven't tried with a head unit and the amp is a little 100 watt rms Dual (don't laugh, it was 30 bills at Walmart and I was in a hurry...on a Sunday)
Ok so this just plugs into the wall and has a 12vdc output? He's just running the hu and 4 6.5 off the head unit we were just talking about running a kicker comp that he had laying around if we could.
yes.

All you would need to do is clip the molex connectors off. Yellow is 12v, black is ground obviously. and on the 20/24 pin connector you just snip the green wire and connect it to a black which makes the powersupply turn on. or put a switch on it.

Honestly if you buy that specific power supply you could run the headunit + a 4 channel amp of 1 12v rail and then a nice 300w amp on the other 12v rail and be fine. can be very loud also.

I ran a kicker zx1500.1 (06 model) off a 15a power supply for about 6 months. never had a issue.

i am currently running a zx300.1 to a mach 5 audio MAW 15 @ 2 ohms on the same power supply. shakes the whole house.

sending you a pm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.