Hooking up amp to see if it work

JordanB699

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 10, 2020
Apopka fl
Kinda stupid question I know but I was given a hifonics 2100 amp that has 0 gauge terminals. I’m wondering can I hook it up to 4 gauge just to see if it turns on or could I possibly fry the amp doing that? I’m not hooking anything up but power and ground. Since I’m here I also have an old school us amp USA 200, wondering if I can just hook that up to my current 4 gauge or if I need to go smaller

02WS6

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jan 12, 2020
Sacramento
Kinda stupid question I know but I was given a hifonics 2100 amp that has 0 gauge terminals. I’m wondering can I hook it up to 4 gauge just to see if it turns on or could I possibly fry the amp doing that? I’m not hooking anything up but power and ground. Since I’m here I also have an old school us amp USA 200, wondering if I can just hook that up to my current 4 gauge or if I need to go smaller
Just be careful on the smaller amp when you connect the power wires together to cover them with some sort of insulator (Electrical tape) so you don't shock yourself or short something to ground.

Reactions: Chronicbud

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
Just be careful on the smaller amp when you connect the power wires together to cover them with some sort of insulator (Electrical tape) so you don't shock yourself or short something to ground.
do people really get shocked? I never ever got shocked handling power or speaker wires in all my years.

02WS6

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jan 12, 2020
Sacramento
Years ago I was testing out a couple of amps for a friend in the back of my car and I dropped the main power wire onto bare metal in the hatch of my car. Sparked, blew up an ANL and scared the shit out of me. Nowadays if the main batt isn't disconnected (which it is now 100% of the time for me) I just recommend insulating to be on the safe side. While the likelihood of a shock is ridiculously low I personally don't mess around with the Amperage coming out of those wires. JMHO though.

Edited to add: Speaker wire definitely not - Power wire though? IDK I've seen the power of electricity and I know the Amps going through that wire, maybe I'm a pansy but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds