Honda's ELD -- how big of a problem?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nstillmatic
10+ year member

It just came to my attention that all Hondas have an ELD that turns off the alternator for low power mode when it's not needed. I have a voltage meter in my car so I can witness this first hand as you can see the voltage dropping up and down (&turning on air conditioning keeps the alt/voltage up). I have a yellowtop for a starter battery, and then a deka 9a31 (rests at 12.6v) in the trunk wired together with a PAC relay isolator. When the car is started, batteries connected, and alt running it reads at about 14.1v. Randomly when driving around, the alt will turn off and spike down to about 12.3-12.8v.

Will this pose a problem long term? The deka is fully charged now, but if I continue driving like this I worry that it won't stay charged and then, when it switches to low power mode it might drop me down below 12v when the system is turned on. For those of you with Honda/Acuras, how do you deal with this?

thanks, that's what happens when an EE is presented with an electrical problem... solutions ensue!

the work-around does require confidence in wiring methods and connectivity - but no more than wiring a car audio system.

you're more likely to burn your car to the ground wiring multiple batteries then you are this bypass. granted, you need access to the ELD wires, and I recommend soldering all connections.

i suppose you could just put a 820 ohm resistor in the end of the ELD plug (on the correct wires) and force the alt on all of the time. but i like having the option of saving fuel when there is little electrical load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.