Home audio BUILD!-equipment choice help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Only The Best
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
texas
View attachment 26550028So I just moved into my apartment which is a 2 bed 850 ft^2. I've attached a pic. That's the space I have to use including room for 2 small towers on each side of the couch.

THE PLAN:

I've installed many car systems along with building them. So I was planning on building the boxes out of MDF and cut a nice piece of oak and stain it and put it over the front side of the MDF for aesthetics.

-I play a lot of games / movies and host parties and listen to music and I want a kick *** loud gut wrenching bass and clear mids and highs. And I have some extra car audio pieces that I've accumulated and that I want to possibly use in this build such as using a computer power supply as the converter to power the car amps (but the question of how much is too much for the battery is a question I cant answer).

THE EQUIPMENT ON HAND:

I have 2 4" tang band mid ranges

Tang Band W4-1720 4" Underhung Midbass Driver

2 4" Dayton audio mid ranges

Dayton Audio ND105-4 4" Aluminum Cone Midbass Driver 4 Ohm

1 Rockford Fosgate PRIME-R600-5 5 channel amp with 50x4 + 200x1@ 4 ohms and 75x4 + 300x1@2 ohms

PRIME Amplifiers - R600-5 - Rockford Fosgate®

and another viper 5 channel amp with the same specs possibly a tad better

1 Diamond audio 400.1 mono amplifier 400 rms @ 2ohms and 200rms @ 4ohms

Diamond Audio D1400.1 400W Class AB Monoblock D1 Car Audio Amplifier

2 Fusion 2 way 6x9 140rms a piece

Fusion Powerplant PP FR6920 6x9 inch 280W 2 Way Speakers | eBay

2 Kenwood 6x9 125 rms a piece

KENWOOD KFC-6995PS 6"x9" PRO 5WAY TWEETERS 1300W LOUD STEREO COAXIAL SPEAKERS

I have a Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bd 1000 rms@ 1 and 2 ohm and 700rms@4ohm that has something minor messed up with it that I would have to send in to get fixed or go to shop

Rockford Fosgate® T1000 1BDCP Constant Power Mono Car Amplifier Amp T1000 1BD CP 7806687330279 | eBay

and 1 working and 2 not working Alpine type R 1000rms 10" sub D4

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

THE BUDGET:

-I don't want to spend over 500 on amps / speakers / subs for the project. (building materials are in hand already)

THE QUESTIONS:

-What can I use that's available that will keep me from spending money on things I don't need and what do I need to do it safely?

-What equipment do I need to buy and what suggestions would you have for the system in general EX. build, design, equipment choice, etc.

-I want either a 15" sub that can move air effortlessly or 2 10"s, so which subs would work with my setup?

Thank you for taking the time to read and I will be including pictures as I build

You're probably better off searching on a home-audio forum. Personally i've never been a fan of mixing up the audio worlds (home/car/pro audio).

You're not going to get as much low end with a computer PSU and a battery running a car-audio-in-home-audio setup, and that's not really a practical way to do it either. To get sufficient 12v power you'll need a bench grade psu / a big server psu and a battery or two. Even that is just ridiculous for a home-audio setup imo. If this was a test bench, that's another story.

EDIT: If I read what you wrote correctly, running a psu and a battery INSIDE is a terrible / unsafe idea to do outside of a bench environment. Considering this wouldn't be a bench test setup, you would want it to last right? What happens if you're watching TV at night and forget to turn off the PSU before you fall asleep? Or just left it on too long, your battery will literally start venting in your house.

yeah that makes sense. I am just trying to use any possible options that I have. That being said.. can I still use the speakers I posted possibly in a tower setup wired with the 6x9 or somehow on a 5.1 channel receiver that works @ 6 or 8 ohm??.. since using the PCU batteries wont work. And having a separate plate amplifier or something for the subwoofer.

any suggestions on the choices also btw?

thank you

If you want to do it as cheaply as possible than yes, use your home receiver and get some plate amps for subs (https://www.parts-express.com/ ftw) and go from there. You might have to wire your speakers in series to get the ohm load up. It might not work below 6/8 ohms.

Really if you wanted it to look clean i'd build an enclosure for each speaker put a mesh grille and wrap that grille in some fabric. At this point you might as well start from scratch building your own home theater setup, as using car audio stuff anywhere but a car just looks tacky and not what it's meant for. It's really up to you, how clean you want it to look, how you want it to sound, and how much you want to spend. Like I said if you want to do it right, you're better off asking questions on some home theater forums.

You need a power inverter made to take ac to dc power (110 ac to 12v dc).

To do anything over 1500 watts you will be spending 200+ just on the power supply converter as the battery its self if used needs to be charged as it is being used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.