HO Alt thoughts?

Clifff150
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
So I’m going to be getting a HO Alt for my 2009 F-150 (4.6L 3 valve). Mechman has a 240a for $399. I reached out to Singer and have a list of options but would likely stay from 220a $449 to 240a $469. I will need a new belt and possibly a smaller pulley both day. Any experience with this engine? Also, which would you choose? I’m leaning Mech for the price. Both have been super responsive and great to talk to.

I lean towards Singer because he usually has better idle amperage than mechman + he actually offers to bypass the voltage regulator of your vechicle which Mechman doesn't do. Mechman also advertises as "cold ratings" where Singer properly rates the amperage as "hot" (semi misleading on Mechmans part to make the alternator seem slightly better than it really is)

I've been quoted multiple 240a models from mechman and they where all 110-120A idle (which is pretty low given the competition) and no PCM bypass. There's a reason it's only $399, some compromises have to be made

Last edited:
I've been running a DCpower alt. for about 2 years now no problems...they are a bit spendy but ya dont wanna cheap out on an HO Alt. in my opinion...... being stranded on the highway/road doesnt seem ideal to me....i honestly havent heard any good things about mechman

Looks like I’ll go with the Singer. Now I gotta decide which one I’ll go with. Anyone have experience with 4.6 and know which belt and pulley I need?

I went with DC Power and didn't need a smaller belt since they use the same size pulley. I guess some of the other alt companies run a smaller pulley to try and make up for low idle amperage.

Mike should let you know if it runs a smaller pulley or not.

This the email from Singer

I would go Singer just based on the ability to remove that VR. Ford alternators as a whole are a PITA to make HO for especially the 4G ones. The 6G which is what it sounds like yours is much easier.

Anyone have experience with 4.6 and know which belt and pulley I need?
Usually the recommendation that is included in the box is .5 to 1 inch smaller. They last 2 of his alts i've installed i've bought 2 belts (one belt .5 inch shorter than OEM and the other as close to 1 inch shorter as possible) and then I just return whichever one of the 2 I don't end up using.

I’m throwing Brand X into the mix. Reached out today and had a response in 2 minutes. Prices are intriguing to go along with what seems to be a good reputation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Clifff150

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Clifff150
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies