Hiss and shhhh sound :(

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
Alright guys, I always was thinking that I just needed to do the Pioneer grounding trick by wrapping remote wire figure-eighting around the RCAs and then grounding it to a screw on the back of the HU somewhere... well, I did this finally and it didnt fix my problem. It's happening on all channels (I think) and if I play a violin solo, I can hear my sub making the hiss it's own way (a low frequency hum/hiss). It's most noticeable on my components in the front though. My power and RCA cables ARE ran on opposite sides of my vehicle. What do you think it might be? Both of my amps (4 channel and mono) are grounded at the same place on the frame with the paint sanded off. I'm using a Kicker amp kit for the 4 channel and a Rockford kit for the mono.

Could just be bad RCAs, man. Welcome to the bane of every SQ guy's existence. All I can say is I'm not getting any noise from my AT Premium RCAs and to give them a shot, but you just kinda have to keep playing with different types until you find one that doesn't hiss.

Could just be bad RCAs, man. Welcome to the bane of every SQ guy's existence. All I can say is I'm not getting any noise from my AT Premium RCAs and to give them a shot, but you just kinda have to keep playing with different types until you find one that doesn't hiss.
Does it make sense that when I pause the music it goes away?

Does it make sense that when I pause the music it goes away?
Then that's not noise induction or ground looping. I'd point my fingers at the source aka the HU. How are you listening to music right now?

Then that's not noise induction or ground looping. I'd point my fingers at the source aka the HU. How are you listening to music right now?
iPod USB cable. I dont have a CD player, so rule any testing with that method out.

iPod USB cable. I dont have a CD player, so rule any testing with that method out.
Wasn't even going there, man. Is it at all volume levels this happens or only above a certain level? I'm thinking your source unit is just being forced to crank high enough to expose the noise floor (the hiss you're hearing).

Wasn't even going there, man. Is it at all volume levels this happens or only above a certain level? I'm thinking your source unit is just being forced to crank high enough to expose the noise floor (the hiss you're hearing).
all levels. Not sure about 0

all levels. Not sure about 0
Guess you could also try grounding the RCAs back at the amp, but I'm not too optimistic about that fixing the hiss. Think it's either the RCAs or the HU.

My hiss when I was dealing with it tranferred over when the HUs were swapped, so it was easy to pinpoint the RCAs as the trouble. I'm sure you'd rather it be the RCAs anyway. Cheaper fix.

Guess you could also try grounding the RCAs back at the amp, but I'm not too optimistic about that fixing the hiss. Think it's either the RCAs or the HU.
My hiss when I was dealing with it tranferred over when the HUs were swapped, so it was easy to pinpoint the RCAs as the trouble. I'm sure you'd rather it be the RCAs anyway. Cheaper fix.
I already did the common Pioneer trick and wrapped remote wire around the RCAs and screwed it to the back. Didnt really change it. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 80prs (does that suffer from the common Pioneer fuse/grounding problem?). I could go buy a HU and test it then return it haha.

I already did the common Pioneer trick and wrapped remote wire around the RCAs and screwed it to the back. Didnt really change it. I'm thinking about upgrading to the 80prs (does that suffer from the common Pioneer fuse/grounding problem?). I could go buy a HU and test it then return it haha.
That last part could save you a good deal of money, but why not just upgrade to the 80prs anyway? Then at least you can get the Focals off their passive crossover and run them active. Also, the AutoTA does a pretty bangup job centering the soundstage. Just not a fan of the AutoEQ since it REALLY favors the upper midrange and that muddies things up a bit.

Basically, you'd be upgrading the HU and get some solid features out of it rather than simply making a lateral move chasing hisses, so go for it.

Yes ,Ill agree.. It to be the HU..I have an Eclipse 8455, just missing the outer ring plate..im sure you can make one easily.I may post it up in a week or two..Its too complicated for me, but excellent for those wanting an active/SQ set up..I like my cd3000,its easy for me

It shouldn't be making that much noise.....

Where did your source the 12V power for your head unit? If it is coming from an accessory wire or even the factory +12V for the head unit, it might be a dirty source of power. A good test is to pull the head unit out and run a wire straight from the battery to the head unit or from another power supply. You can also try a new set of RCA's while you're at it. If this doesn't fix it, then you know 100% that the head unit is faulty. I've ran into the same issue before with bad sources of power.

That last part could save you a good deal of money, but why not just upgrade to the 80prs anyway? Then at least you can get the Focals off their passive crossover and run them active. Also, the AutoTA does a pretty bangup job centering the soundstage. Just not a fan of the AutoEQ since it REALLY favors the upper midrange and that muddies things up a bit.
Basically, you'd be upgrading the HU and get some solid features out of it rather than simply making a lateral move chasing hisses, so go for it.
Don't quite have the money to get an 80prs at the moment, but my birthday is in two months. Also, my Focals have integrated crossovers. There is no crossover box, as they are built in to the woofer and tweeter. Since I have a Pioneer HU already, will the 80prs be a plug & drop (same harness and dash mounting equipment? I've never had another HU before.)?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.