High Pitched Hum

newtothis86
10+ year member

Ontario
I have a high pitch hum that comes from my front speakers which are running off the amp. I have no idea what this is but here are a few things I have noticed trying to diagnose it:

1. It gets higher pitched with increased engine speed

2. It is there even if the RCA's aren't plugged in.

3. When there is signal to the amp, it is independent of amp volume.

To me this sounds like it might be something internal to the amp. Any ideas as to what could solve this?

u using pioneer HU?

All you do is take some very small wire, and wrap it around all the rca inputs on the back of the head unit in a figure 8. Then you ground it to the screw on the back of the head unit.

Haha guys, good guess on the Pioneer HU, that was only part of the problem. The whine happens with no RCA's plugged in so its not from the HU. The amp is grounded to bare metal, I used a teck screw and stripped it so its not like absolutely tight, but its grounded well enough to run...do you think this is likely the issue or do you think its internal to the amp?

Haha guys, good guess on the Pioneer HU, that was only part of the problem. The whine happens with no RCA's plugged in so its not from the HU. The amp is grounded to bare metal, I used a teck screw and stripped it so its not like absolutely tight, but its grounded well enough to run...do you think this is likely the issue or do you think its internal to the amp?
Fix the ground and then you tell us....IMHO it is the ground.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.