high end amp. does it really matter... 2ch/4ch

big scott

blazin low, and loud
edgewood, md
hi guys,

i see an amp on here for sale and its really nice and got me thinking...

are high end 2ch / 4ch really worth the money?

do they really sound better ?

sorry i dont know. never had a high end amp.

see i want to replace my us 4ch amps with nicer 4ch . want the crossovers to go to 5k .

mine only goes to 3k.

and must be band-passable.

i was thinking of just getting 2 aq 120.4 amps to match my aq 2ch.

but after i installed my 80prs and getting better sound im thinking maybe i should be looking at something better.

better sq .

so what do you guys think. and im sure everybody is going to say do it.

but i have to ask. as im disabled only get so much money so im not rich . but if i will truly get better sound then ill have to save some money.

any recommendations ?

I thought US acoustics made pretty solid SQ amps. I could be wrong. I don't think you will get a huge SQ difference just switching amps running pro audio drivers and super tweets. Not that you can't make it all sound good but just don't expect a huge difference. It comes down to if you're willing to aspend the money to try to make it sound better, I guess.

I thought US acoustics made pretty solid SQ amps. I could be wrong. I don't think you will get a huge SQ difference just switching amps running pro audio drivers and super tweets. Not that you can't make it all sound good but just don't expect a huge difference. It comes down to if you're willing to aspend the money to try to make it sound better, I guess.
thanks for your input..

and my speakers are going to be replaced with better sound quality speakers. going to do less but better.

ya im not saying it does not sound good but thats why im asking is i have never heard a great sq system. most people go with spl type of system.

i want great sound but also loud. if i can, if i cant i rather sq.

c1500, thanks. ill look over that thread.

I think you'd get more for your money by upgrading your speakers before your amp. High end amps only shine when they have quality speakers to work with.

HIGHER END AMP SQ IS A MYTH - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

read to your hearts content.

Personally I would suggest a dsp or speakers over better amps. I doubt you would hear a difference in your current, particular setup. Even if you get on board with boutique amps being worth it, they contribute so little in comparison to drivers and specifics about the install that you have a ways to go before they may be worth it.

As long as its a decent class A/B your are fine. I didnt notice too much of a sound quality upgrade with my gladen xl 150 c4 vs the JL 6 channel, infact, the JL 6 channel sounded better with only 75 watts a channel. Both were lacking in the output/loudness section despite big power ratings from the gladen. I'd put speaker driver qualty and Signal processing/tuning a priority over a 4 channel any day though.

The 4 channel is only needed if you need crossover functions or more power. You wont see too much difference going from a class a/b to another class a/b

thanks for your input..
and my speakers are going to be replaced with better sound quality speakers. going to do less but better.

ya im not saying it does not sound good but thats why im asking is i have never heard a great sq system. most people go with spl type of system.

i want great sound but also loud. if i can, if i cant i rather sq.

c1500, thanks. ill look over that thread.
If you're upgrading speakers, I'd focus the money on a higher end set instead of both an amp and speakers. Maybe later down the road you could try a top quality SQ amp if you felt it would help. But for the most part, I think you will be better off keeping your current amps and focusing on nice component set to accomplish better SQ.

thanks guys..

and from my reading it sounds like its not a big differences.

so ya at this point im going to start getting better speakers.

after that i want a dsp and ether going with ppi 88r or 360.3 if i can find one cheaper then new.

but can afford the ppi.

and i had forgotten all about that thread....

just need to figure out what tweeters to go with. as i want to do them first. then ill get better 6.5's . but leaving the 8" as they sound great.

HIGHER END AMP SQ IS A MYTH - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum
read to your hearts content.

Personally I would suggest a dsp or speakers over better amps. I doubt you would hear a difference in your current, particular setup. Even if you get on board with boutique amps being worth it, they contribute so little in comparison to drivers and specifics about the install that you have a ways to go before they may be worth it.
********.. the way they test those amps are bypassing internal processing and not running them near clipping. its a proven fact that lower tolerance parts and different caps and better traces sound better around the amps full potential..

if you really know anything about circuitry and designing an amp.. you would invest in such high dollar parts and build such highend amps that sell about 1/8 the midline stuff sales if it was a ripoff.. the profit margins of the highend stuff is not nearly as much as alot of other gear..

1 alot of those components are hard to come by and are expensive. highend board are hard to come by if your not using it for militarily applications or heavy industrial.. and trust me these modern car amps arent used in any indurtial field or military applications that's why many high-end amps use unique boards and circuitry.

when you are pushing anything at its limit there is a huge difference... every test ive ever seen was simply designed to limits the audible difference between the amps.. the ultimate test is a good clean install and seeing which one sounds the best in your car.. as for as processing.. its noisy and usually introduces some form of distortion.. they do have very good processors but there is nothing like a very clean high-output amp and the proper installation to get the proper sound VS tring to EQ and use time alignment that introduces phasing issues and odd order harmonics..

if you really know anything about circuitry and designing an amp.. you would invest in such high dollar parts and build such highend amps that sell about 1/8 the midline stuff sales if it was a ripoff.. the profit margins of the highend stuff is not nearly as much as alot of other gear..1 alot of those components are hard to come by and are expensive. highend board are hard to come by if your not using it for militarily applications or heavy industrial.. and trust me these modern car amps arent used in any indurtial field or military applications that's why many high-end amps use unique boards and circuitry.

when you are pushing anything at its limit there is a huge difference... every test ive ever seen was simply designed to limits the audible difference between the amps.. the ultimate test is a good clean install and seeing which one sounds the best in your car.. as for as processing.. its noisy and usually introduces some form of distortion.. they do have very good processors but there is nothing like a very clean high-output amp and the proper installation to get the proper sound VS tring to EQ and use time alignment that introduces phasing issues and odd order harmonics..
soooo you're saying that an amp can be a magic band-aid that fixes a subpar install? Can the difference be measured? If so, is it at thresholds that the human ear can appreciably perceive in a car being driven!? I doubt you would suggest that the OP get a Brax or Audison Thesis for his particular setup?

I like how you are saying when you are pushing an amp to it's limits. Personally I think it makes a lot more sense to have a ton of head room and a middle of the road amp with decent specs than an expensive, esoteric amp.

I've AB-ed several amps, Zapco C2K, ADS, Old school Orions, Old School Fosgates...and given approximately equal power I couldn't tell one apart from another. Nothing too extremely fancy, but some amps would definitely be consdered SQ oriented. Maybe I'm deaf....

The phasing issues exist even without a processor along with several other issues. A processor gives the end user a way to attempt to fix the pre-existing issues. Of course if you knew anything about wave dynamics and the complicated environment an automobile presents you would understand the need for a decent on board or independent processor unless you have extreme flexibility to place drivers, superbly designed passive crossovers, and the attained ability to pick drivers exceptionally suited to your install.

Would I love to own some of these super high end amps? Sure! I think they are beautiful works of art and well engineered. Do I think I will magically hear a difference in a car that I'm driving to and fro? No. I would rather drop that kind of money on a HT or a headphone setup where I can be certain any improvements would be noted.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.