high efficiency sq amp

gijoe
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm looking for a good two channel for my comps. I don't think I'll need anything more than 100watts per channel at 4ohms. I'm looking for a solid, reliable and highly efficient amp with good clean power. I'd rather sacrifice power for reliability and sq. I'm looking to spend about $200, and I'll gladly take used equipment as long as it's properly maintained. I want something effiecient so that I dont' have to invest in expensive electrical upgrades. I have a Phoenix gold xenon 600.1 right now for my subs and I want to add an amp for my comps without needing a new batt or alt. Any suggestions?

well if you're lookinjg for uber crazy high end SQ, then you're looking at class A amps and those are the opposite of efficent.....

but since you're probly on a budget like the rest of us, youll want something that sounds nice and isnt a shitty brand. i LOVED my memphis mclass amps. ran my components for years off my 16-mc3004 and loved it. not too exspensive, efficent, clean output (assuming your signal is clean to begin with), and not terribly exspensive. worth every penny IMO

In your price range new I would check out the Cadence stuff. Search online or ebay for ARC, Zapco, Genesis, Audison if you are looking for High end stuff. You should be able to find one of the higher end amps with 100w x 2 close to your price range. There is a smaller Audison LRx on ebay right now. Just remember Class A/B are not considered effecient.

If you want effecient look at class D or G. Alpine PDX, New ARC KAR series stuff.IMO

^^would have to disagree...A class is all sound no efficiency,A/B is preamp a class amp B class..so sound+a good dose of efficiancy..he specified that he needs it for components not sub, not sure just how much sound u can get at 5-10% thd no matter how much power u get out of it..

A/B is preamp a class amp B class..so sound+a good dose of efficiancy
1) You seem to not understand much about amplifiers, because a class A/B isn't labeled as such because it has a class A preamp with a class B output. They keep a small "class A" bias current on the output transistors at all times to minimize the crossover distortion of class B. Hence class A/B.

2) I wouldn't consider an average of around 30% efficiency @ 1/3 power (where your amplifier will be operating most of the time) to be very efficient.

he specified that he needs it for components not sub, not sure just how much sound u can get at 5-10% thd no matter how much power u get out of it..
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I have NO idea what you are talking about here........hopefully you aren't implying that amplifier classes such as D are not capable of operating at distortion levels of less than 5-10%......because that would be a laughable and horribly inaccurate comment.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I know that typically sq and efficiency are at opposite ends of the rainbow, but like everyone else I'm looking for a good compromis. $200 is about what I want to spend. I wont be needing anything super high end, just something solid that I wont feel the need to upgrade. Right now it'll be powering BA's entry level S60's but an upgrade on components is going to happen eventually. I'm considering BA Pro 60's or Pioneers 720's. I'm not building a high end sq machine for competing, just a great sounding daily driver. I am considering Zed Audio, (although a new one is probably out of my budget) but I don't know how efficient they are. I don't want to be forced into electrical upgrades. I am also looking at the Xenon 100.2 to match my 600.1, but don't know about the sq. Thanks again everyone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.