Hey there Noob here looking for opinions...on H/U's

mosha

Hey there, First time post and just learning about car audio due to my H/u frying in my Subaru. I have a 02 forester and im looking for a smart purchase to replace it. I want a H/U i wont be replacing for 5 years. I have been looking at Pio 3200 and 4200 but I am concerned about the 2.2 volt pre-amp. I do like the JVC arsenal kd-615 cause of the price, compatibility and and 5 volt outs. I dont need a crazy high end H/U just something that will power and have the needs to feed the speakers and amp. Would rather dump the majority of money into the Speaker / amp combo.

I am planning on a amp ( dont know yet) with 6.5 comps front and 5.25 co ax rears, I have been leaning towads Focal polyglass fronts or just heard some mclass Memphis that i loved. I really need some opinions here. for the rears i am thinking matching the company to the choice of fronts but not needed to be the same line like Focal polyglass fronts with Focal access rears. I am learning as I research and would love some input.

I am willing to spend 200 on head, 250 on fronts, 150 on rears, with about 200 on amp give or take depending on the quality of the amp.

Ilisten to everything from funk to jazz from punk to rap to rock, I am looking for full, clean and satisfying. Would like to do this right on the first shot so i have been really researching and now find myself overwhelmed with info. HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:
With the HU being the beginning of the line Id spend the most on the HU. Id look for a used Alpine 9886 or 9887. They can be had for right around $200 used in mint condition and have loads of options including active capabilities, 4v preouts, and time alignment.

OK Looked around some more and due to not knowing how to set amp's yet I have decided to go with a Alpine CDA-117, with a alpine KTP-445 power pack(for now) till i can install and set an amp myself correctly. I figure after all the H/U's I looked at this one has everything I'll need for a couple and is very expandable. I believe this is a great piece to build the rest of the system off of.

I would like to go with Memphis mcc6's but cant find a kind price atm, I just found a set of Focal polyglass 165vb's for a nice price, has anyone had the chance to hear these coming off of a comparable set up? I wish I could hear them in the same store but have not found a dealer that sells both. I do feel the memphis's were nicer but it could have been the deck>amp> wiring> set up on the displays. Back to reading some more.....

pioneer avh3200...like $230 i think...i LOVE mine...4v preouts...great features but not too many to make it really expensive

ill take 200$ for head pm ur address
There are 9886's in the classifieds for $150. I didnt say my 9887 was for sale.

OK Looked around some more and due to not knowing how to set amp's yet I have decided to go with a Alpine CDA-117, with a alpine KTP-445 power pack(for now) till i can install and set an amp myself correctly. I figure after all the H/U's I looked at this one has everything I'll need for a couple and is very expandable. I believe this is a great piece to build the rest of the system off of.
I would like to go with Memphis mcc6's but cant find a kind price atm, I just found a set of Focal polyglass 165vb's for a nice price, has anyone had the chance to hear these coming off of a comparable set up? I wish I could hear them in the same store but have not found a dealer that sells both. I do feel the memphis's were nicer but it could have been the deck>amp> wiring> set up on the displays. Back to reading some more.....
Be careful with the KTP445. If the impedance on the speakers drops or raises to high it will go into protect mode.

"pioneer avh3200...like $230 i think...i LOVE mine...4v preouts...great features but not too many to make it really expensive"

How do those get along with itouches ?

Just got a new itouch for the wife and now she says that she needs a new HU. Shait.

How do those get along with itouches ?

Just got a new itouch for the wife and now she says that she needs a new HU. Shait.
I can tell you that my old Eclipse CD7000 and my 9887 both get along with the iTouch very well.

I just purchased a pioneer avh-3200dvd myself and love it also! The store i purchased it from demonstrated it using his ipod and iphone and it worked flawlessly, i have a berry 9700 that it also works flawlessly through the USB port on the H/U, so it should work with itouch I'm thinking also...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.