Tired of flashy head units...where can I get factory-style?

Anti-Flash

While I've done car audio work before, it's been limited to installing new head units and/or speakers for friends with no understanding of electrical engineering. What I've noticed though, is all these after-market head units coming with very tiny (and all too numerous) buttons, and insanely bright LED backlighting, button lighting, and just randomly and pointlessly placed LEDs tacked on for the hell of it.

Having just traded in my '07 Mustang to escape payments while jobless, and picked up an '03 Hyundai Sonata with two busted six inchers and a head unit without an aux jack, I'm ready to blow what money I have left on getting this car up to my audio standards.

Having browsed crutchfield.com and several other sites, I've come to the conclusion that today's after-market crowd is more interested in making the interior of their car look like a rave party than something respectable. I realize that's a popular style these days, so no offense to those of you who enjoy it, but it's just not *my* style.

Below is a picture of what I had in my old car.

Ford Mustang Shaker System

And I assume you're all familiar with what's sold these days. But I'd like something similar to what I had in my mustang. Simple, functional, non-obnoxious, non-blinding at night.

Any help you good folks could offer would surely be appreciated.

this is what i have in the dash of my mustang.....

013.jpg

Are you looking for a double din? Or just new single din HU. If single din, find an older Alpine...I have a 9835 and 9855, and both have color-changing LEDs to match the factory dash lights. Most people get in my car at night and don't even realize I have an aftermarket HU. The Nakamichis do look OEM as well.

If you're looking for a double din, go with a Kenwood or the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT; both have the same kind of color-matching lights as the older Alpines.

Well, it'll be arriving on Wednesday, so that's when the fun begins. Got two new mids coming in the same day to replace the busted ones in the rear. I'm going to need to either make my own adapter or find a couple of them for very little though, as the stock units are 6"x9", while the ones I bought are 6.5".

Well, it'll be arriving on Wednesday, so that's when the fun begins. Got two new mids coming in the same day to replace the busted ones in the rear. I'm going to need to either make my own adapter or find a couple of them for very little though, as the stock units are 6"x9", while the ones I bought are 6.5".
your stock ones are 6x8's...you can make a template from the stock speakers on a piece of 1/4 mdf then custom build a mounting bracket for the 6.5

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.