Hertz HSK-165 vs MLK-165

Bun-Bun
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Saskatoon
I can get hertz locally and I went and auditioned some today. I didnt have much to bring with me to listen to but I played with them for a good 30 minutes.

First impressions they are both very clear and detailed with the HSK being brighter and the MLK having better midbass.

However whenver I switched to the MLK's I felt somethign was being dropped. While the midbass got better I felt some instruments in the midrange were gone or lessened...I dont know if maybe the HSK just have a more bloated midrange? My theory is the MLK were being serious underpowered. They were running on a 300/4 JL amp. I beleive thats 70x4 RMS.

I will be running at least 150 watts to them and preferably 200 watts.

So what does everyone else thing of these two sets head to head?

BTW There 6x9's rock! switched them on and I could actually feel it in my gut!

I have the HSK 165's and ive never heard a better front stage before. Ive never heard the mlk's
The MLK are the Mille line which are there top end component. Retail the HSK's are $400 CAD and the Mille's are $999 CAD here at my local delear.

The mille's definitly have better clarity and are smoother but the mid range lacks in something that I cant describe but I think it may have to do with the fact they are underpowered. I would like to hear them with a 200w per channle amp.

I have the HSK 165's and ive never heard a better front stage before. Ive never heard the mlk's
+1

Should be hearing some top of the line ssjgoten's germaniums soon, should be a good comparison

my hsk's are getting 150watts atm. they'll be seeing 320 watts in about a week when i finish installing. amazing midbass in these badboys

sorry to go off topic, but for the guys running the hsk165, where do you guys have your tweeters mounted?

I had my mlk's running at 75watts rms and I couldn't believe that I wasted my money on them. I was really disappointed in the overall sound especially the mid bass. I decided to slap 150 watts on each of them and omfg what a difference. I wish I could slap even more power on them, they love the power and sound great. I guess the mlk's are less efficient (sp) then the hsk's.

I had my mlk's running at 75watts rms and I couldn't believe that I wasted my money on them. I was really disappointed in the overall sound especially the mid bass. I decided to slap 150 watts on each of them and omfg what a difference. I wish I could slap even more power on them, they love the power and sound great. I guess the mlk's are less efficient (sp) then the hsk's.
That's the exact impression I got, just I have not heard them with more then 70 watts of power. They sound a lot smoother then the HSK's with the HSK's being brighter and a bit harsh in comparison. Midbass is very close between them witht he same power with more detail on the MSK's.

But switching bakc and forth between them it sounds like the HSK's are more efficient then the MSK's although according to Hertz specifications they are the same (92db).

I think I am going to have to find some more complex music to go test them with. One thing I can definitly comment on is the HSK's blended with the subs and 6x9's better then the MSK's but that could just be the way that Hertz board was wired. Little tweaking would probably fix it.

well giving 75w to a set speakers rated at 300w peak, of course you'll be disappointed.
Well exactly... thats why I am wondeirng if anyone has heard these things compared at some better power... like 150+ wrms. Like the MSK's sound great but with the power thye had they would be tried to keep up with th e 2 12's im putting in but im sure the more power they got they would perform a lot better.

i bought a set of MLK's, deciding on an amp im gonna use. thinking of using the Diamond Audio D6 700.4 amp. does 350 x 2 at 4ohms.
That would be enough power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Now just get the HSK's and compare them at that power lol

That would be enough power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Now just get the HSK's and compare them at that power lol
well i have heard the hsk's at bout 175 watts and they sounded really nice, smooth and detailed. i wont be able to hear my mlks for a few weeks as i still gotta order the amp and get some hushmat and do the install.

well i have heard the hsk's at bout 175 watts and they sounded really nice, smooth and detailed. i wont be able to hear my mlks for a few weeks as i still gotta order the amp and get some hushmat and do the install.
knowing you, it'll be longer than that. Do me a favor me and prove me wrong.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif..

My MLKs are running with 440wrmsx2 and they love every bit of the power. If you want something efficient and on a budget go for the HSKs. The mille series are power hungry and want big boys with big electrical systems.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.