Hertz HSK 163 or Rainbow Germs?

PatFitz9
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Chicago
I have narrowed it down to these two component sets, and I can’t choose. My biggest problem is there are no dealers/anyone I know with these brands (so I’m only relying on their rep). I have listened to a lot of the higher end sets around me, and I have been disappointed so far. I am looking for good sound accuracy, but detailed with different types of music. Harsh highs are a no-no. I listen to a wide variety of music with classic rock, hippie music, and hip-hop being the top three.

I have stock 3-way comps in front, and I want to stick to the stock locations. So the germs, the 6.5 would be sitting fairly low and back in the door. I think the Hertz would be better for my set-up, since it's a 3-way, and it’s slightly cheaper. What do you guys think?

Have you deadened the doors of the vehicle?

Using MDF mounts for the speakers or stock plastic?

If you are going to a GOOD speaker, you want to make sure you do everything to plan for great sound, not just expect a speaker to fix it.

The quasi active control the Germs offer in independent xover points for bth mid and tweet will solve any phasing relationship concerns you may have with the drivers being apart. I can certainly say this set is NOT harsh, and I prefer the tonal accuracy of the metal cone driver in both midrange and attack and decay of the kick.

I plan on deadening, and using mounting rings. but i am not going much farther than that. everything is staying in stock locations.

has anyone heard the Hertz and Germs? I know the germs are more popular on here, but maybe someone has.

I heard some hertz speakers a few month ago, I'm not sure of the model but I prefer my Germs over the one's I heard. Best purchase I ever made and I'm only running them off of a power acoustik amp and my doors aren't even deadened yet.

yeah, i'm getting the Germs. just worried about the 6.5 firing pretty much right at my ass. hopefully it still sounds good.

Just bought a set of Germs and Dreamline KX 165 for the rear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/woot.gif.aaa6090e619a97b6090d16dd863c5a69.gif

Have you deadened the doors of the vehicle?Using MDF mounts for the speakers or stock plastic?

If you are going to a GOOD speaker, you want to make sure you do everything to plan for great sound, not just expect a speaker to fix it.
Wow, is this a stock repsonse of yours to any audio question? What you say tis true but out of the blue.

And Pat, I might add the following: Make sure you change the oil in this vehicle every 3k miles. If you are going to spring for a GOOD speaker you want to make certain that your car is operating properly.

I have narrowed it down to these two component sets, and I can’t choose. My biggest problem is there are no dealers/anyone I know with these brands (so I’m only relying on their rep). I have listened to a lot of the higher end sets around me, and I have been disappointed so far. I am looking for good sound accuracy, but detailed with different types of music. Harsh highs are a no-no. I listen to a wide variety of music with classic rock, hippie music, and hip-hop being the top three.
I have stock 3-way comps in front, and I want to stick to the stock locations. So the germs, the 6.5 would be sitting fairly low and back in the door. I think the Hertz would be better for my set-up, since it's a 3-way, and it’s slightly cheaper. What do you guys think?
Do you know of an online retailer for the Hertz?

Hold on now, I didn't mean it like that.

What I am saying is that sometimes people expect that simply by changing speakers the difference will be a night and day improvement.

While sometimes it can, it can also be very disappointing when you go to a really nice set and don't get what you expect.

Car speakers are very different from home environment b/c 90+%? of home speakers are pre-built in boxes designed and manufactured by the manufacturer.

Car speakers are simply shipped to you and you install. In most cases they are installed in a not so optimal environment to truly give you what the speaker is capable of.

I myself have a project this weekend to deaden the doors and secure the Polk's I have. I need to see what mid muddiness I can solve in my 3/4 a$$ed install I did when I first bought the car.

If I'm not happy, THEN I can upgrade the speaker and already have the optimal environment in place.

I will for sure write a review when i get them installed. and thanks to 3.5Max6Spd for the Rainbows //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif great guy to do business with (so far)

and i have to change my oil every 5k miles, so ha!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.