Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rob21

Okay, so a few months ago I bought my first setup. It was a BOSS AUDIO R1100M amp, an 8inch Pyle Subwoofer, and a 8 inch sealed box. About a month ago the Pyle subwoofer stopped working. So what I need help on is what 8inch sub to get and would need it to work with my current amp and box. I'm thinking about this sub the Rockford Fosgate P1S2-8 Punch P1, it comes with 2 ohm or 4 ohm. I now know that my amp isn't really 1000+watts so what is the real RMS? Also my HU is the Pioneer AVH-x3800bhs.

probably 300-500 watts, if you have the gain knob maxed out you're doing it wrong and clipping the **** out of it and killing your subs.

the rockford 8 im sure is a good sub, whats your budget for the sub? if you're maxing the amp out because you want it louder you need to instead get a larger sub and ported box because you're likely expecting too much out of it

The amp has a 30A fuse in it. There's no way that's doing anywhere near 800W RMS. I'd guess is probably more like 400W RMS (if you're lucky) @2 and 200W @ 4.

To get 4 ohm final (at the amp), get a 4 ohm sub, or a dual 2 ohm (wire in series)

to get 2 ohm final, get a 2 ohm sub or a dual 4 (wire in parallel)

Make sure you're setting the gain correctly (it's not a volume knob) and don't use the bass boost. It should last a long time. If it's not loud enough buy bigger.

The P1 is fine, but there are better subs for the money. If I were doing an 8" I'd try the American Bass XD844:

American Bass XD844 8" XD Series Dual 4 ohm Car Subwoofer

probably 300-500 watts, if you have the gain knob maxed out you're doing it wrong and clipping the **** out of it and killing your subs.
the rockford 8 im sure is a good sub, whats your budget for the sub? if you're maxing the amp out because you want it louder you need to instead get a larger sub and ported box because you're likely expecting too much out of it
Yep, I now know not to do that. My budget is around $60. Thanks for the reply.

The amp has a 30A fuse in it. There's no way that's doing anywhere near 800W RMS. I'd guess is probably more like 400W RMS (if you're lucky) @2 and 200W @ 4.
To get 4 ohm final (at the amp), get a 4 ohm sub, or a dual 2 ohm (wire in series)

to get 2 ohm final, get a 2 ohm sub or a dual 4 (wire in parallel)

Make sure you're setting the gain correctly (it's not a volume knob) and don't use the bass boost. It should last a long time. If it's not loud enough buy bigger.

The P1 is fine, but there are better subs for the money. If I were doing an 8" I'd try the American Bass XD844:

American Bass XD844 8" XD Series Dual 4 ohm Car Subwoofer
Thanks for the specs, and yeah I know to not max the gain and have to set it accordingly.

well that was one of the easier noobs to tell not to max out the gain knob anymore lol kudos to you for learning from your mistakes let us know if you need anything else

well that was one of the easier noobs to tell not to max out the gain knob anymore lol kudos to you for learning from your mistakes let us know if you need anything else
You mean, unlike the kind who will keep buying and frying subs, come here for advice, ignore all of it and then insist that we're not listening to him? It's a good thing THAT hasn't been going on in one particular thread, in the completely wrong forum, for a week.

Update

I purchased a new 10 inch ported box and a rockford fosgate p1s4-10. Installed everything and it's working really good now. Also got the gains set up properly at 31.4 (250rms x 4ohm). Thanks to everyone who replied.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.