Help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

jsibley

I am completely new at this. I am just trying to add a little depth to my music in my 93 ford ranger. I know the amp and sub i have are probably the cheapest i could get. I have a vr3 200watt amp and a 12" vr3 sub. I'm sure the ground and power wire are connected correctly but when i put power to the remote wire the protection light comes on. This is without the RCA wires attached or the sub. And my power wire is an 8 gauge ant the ground is a 4.

I'm somewhat familiar with Columbus but not too much. I tend to go more to peachtree city if i need a bigger city. And my power is run straight to the battery but my ground is under the spot my seat is bolted down between the plate and the body and it has been ground down to bare metal on the body under it. I hope that made sense

I'm somewhat familiar with Columbus but not too much. I tend to go more to peachtree city if i need a bigger city. And my power is run straight to the battery but my ground is under the spot my seat is bolted down between the plate and the body and it has been ground down to bare metal on the body under it.
I have to ask, are the power and ground in the correct places on the amp? Make sure that there are no stray strands of wire sticking out of the connectors.

That could cause your problem as well as other things.

Do you have a fuse on the power wire near the battery?

Make sure that the power wire is not damaged anywhere along its path.

I have checked the power wire and its fine. i believe there are a few strands sticking out but now its too dark to work on. i do have a fuse too but i wasnt sure what size so i got a 30 watt

I have checked the power wire and its fine. i believe there are a few strands sticking out but now its too dark to work on. i do have a fuse too but i wasnt sure what size so i got a 30 watt
You have to make sure that you have no stray strands of wire touching stuff. Just one will cause trouble.

Is the amp new or used?

The amp may just be done...

When you have some light, check to be sure there are not strands of wire causing your problem. You may also want to check that the power wire has not been pinched anywhere.

Ya.

You can also take a meter, set it to ohms, pull the fuse out of the amp and test across the + and - terminals. If you get a reading, the amp is done(at least the power supply). Same goes for the - and remote + terminal. There should be no reading between them.

No, pull the power, ground and remote wires from the amp along with the fuse that is on the amp.

Then test between the power and ground, you should get nothing. Then put the fuse back in and test it again. You should still

get nothing. If you get continuity between the + and - at any time, there is a problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.