HELP! with ported enclosure for my 8" RE re's

Participant count
  • Participant list

evers
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've never done a ported enclosure before so I have some Q's. First of all I have 1.1 c. sft. to work with per sub. RE recommends only .5 @ 35Hz for the "OPTIMUM" enclosure. It seems a bit small to me but I don't know much about ported enclosures. I want to get the most bass out of these subs. Should I tune them to a different frq.? Suggestions please.

Sounds about right to me, i'm going with a round port (since that's all I can fit) what's size should I go with.
if you can, you should really go with a slot port. for 2 of thoes in 1.5cuft you will want at least 20sq" of port area min. round ports may give you too much port noise.

A single 4" aeroport will work fine for a pair of them. We're not talking about high xmax, high powered woofers, so port noise won't really be an issue so long as you don't go really small. I always do slot ports though, since it's easier to get a low tuning with them, and it adds bracing to the box as well. Trying to tune below 35hz with aeroports is hard without going out and buying your own tubes to make them long enough...it's also a lot less expensive using slot ports.

A single 4" aeroport will work fine for a pair of them. We're not talking about high xmax, high powered woofers, so port noise won't really be an issue so long as you don't go really small. I always do slot ports though, since it's easier to get a low tuning with them, and it adds bracing to the box as well. Trying to tune below 35hz with aeroports is hard without going out and buying your own tubes to make them long enough...it's also a lot less expensive using slot ports.
this is very true, iam just slot port bias.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

A slot port is not an option due to the install, also these will be in they're own chamber (is somewhat of a custom enclosure). How do I figure the lenght or size of the port, is there a calculator somewhere, the subs will only be getting about 400 watts rms.

A slot port is not an option due to the install, also these will be in they're own chamber (is somewhat of a custom enclosure). How do I figure the lenght or size of the port, is there a calculator somewhere, the subs will only be getting about 400 watts rms.
What kind of install is this going to be?

use this calc: http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

If you're using aeroports, add an extra inch to the length the calc gives you, and that'll be the length you need from one end to the other.

What kind of install is this going to be?
use this calc: http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

If you're using aeroports, add an extra inch to the length the calc gives you, and that'll be the length you need from one end to the other.
I'm using the stock enclosure in my car (sealed and dampened). One last question, in the link you provided it asks you to punch in the enclosure volume, do I punch in what I have (1.1ft^3) or do I subtract the displacement of the port and punch that in. Sorry for the noob Q's, ported is a bit trickier than I thought.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.