Help with port design.

Participant count
  • Participant list

maximpakt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok, tore everything out of the car last weekend and am downsizing a bit. Before I was running 4 15" Kicker L7's. As per the kicker reps recommendation I put them in individually sealed boxes, It sounded ok, but was never as loud as it should have been. So I am now redoing the system and only using two of the subs. The interior box demensions for each sub is 15.5" tall x 17.5" deep x 27.25" wide. I want to port the box this time but have never built a ported box and am reading conflicting reports on the size of ports needed. As best I can tell this sub has an xmax of 15 mm and I am trying to tune around 33 hz for a nice blend of musical quality and spl. I will be pushing them with an atomic 3000.1 at one ohm. Please help me with the port size and design.

If those are the interior enclosure dimensions for each driver, then use a 6" aeroport at 12" long and you'll be at 33Hz.

Put one 6" aeroport in each enclosure you make those exact INSIDE dimensions, at 12" long. Should be pretty decent bud.

Precision Port 6" Flared Port Tube Kit 268-354

This route would be the easiest since you are essentially building those single sealed enclosures, then cutting down in length to 12" and installing the 6" aeroport in each one.

If you want to do a separate pair of slot ported enclosures, I can certainly design you them...

I was going to just do round ports, but everything I have read from both the kicker site and individuals says not to do round ports with these subs, to do slotted

BTW - An Atomic 3kW amplifier (assuming you have a good electrical system) @ 1ohm, on a pair of ported L7 15" drivers will certainly be too much for them,

Turn those settings down... Lol, 1.5kW per L7 and you'll have smoke in not long.

I was going to just do round ports, but everything I have read from both the kicker site and individuals says not to do round ports with these subs, to do slotted
You'll be fine. Trust me.

Round ports, especially flared round ports (like aeroports), are more efficient than slotted ports anyway..

Ok, ill trust you and order the ports. Guess I wont be finishing that box tommorow, lol. If I have any further questions ill message back. Thank you for the advice.

You can do slots no problem, orrrr, heck, you could even go to your local hardware or home improvement store and use 6" PVC tubing for the time being.

If you want a slot ported design, I can design you one, but I am pretty busy atm.

If you want to, check out the Re Calculator for enclosures, it is decent, it is just that sometimes the port length is off a bit. But it'll work for you too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.