• Participant list

newyork2050
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ny
The knobs on my amp are:

Input level, Phase Shift, Subsonic filter, Lowpass Filter

Then bass boost and it has Freq and Level under bass boost

I know you cant really help with the input level, I have 2 12 inch type Rs sealed what should the sub sonic and low pass filter be around and can someone explain the phase shift to me. And what should i use the bass boost for?

the sub sonic filter is not needed with a sealed box. they are for ported to protect the driver when it is played below the tuning fq. the phase shift is for changing the phase of the sub in relation to the other drivers-kinda like reversing the wires on the sub. the low pass will be based on the lower limit of your mids(mid bass)cutoff.

in general from 60 to 100 hz or so. or better yet, to your liking. for your input level, take your final ohms x rms of the amp and take that number and find the sq route, that final number will be the output voltage to set your amp--this is just a guide line and your ear will have the final say!

good luck

-vic

ah sorry missed that one. be careful with the bass boost, they can clip an amp if your not careful. generally these are up to you or per "taste". in most cases they wont be needed. listen to some music you like and adjust it to taste and listen for the amp to clip or distort, when it dose back it off some.

the frequency knob under bass boost will determine at what frequency the boost will come in to play. you may like a little boost on the low end to fight off the sealed rolloff.

how do i use that formula "take your final ohms x rms of the amp and take that number and find the sq route, that final number will be the output voltage to set your amp"

you will need a test tone at 50 hz @0db, set your eq, bass and any other boost to flat or 0. disconect you subs. set yur deck volune at about 85% and play the test track. use your meter(like was said, set at vac) and adjust the gain on the amp untill you reach the number you obtained. if your not shure how to get that #, tell me your final ohms and the rms at that ohm your amp is rated and ill get it for you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.