Help with Enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

qat
10+ year member

Alright, since my last post i've found that a 4th order won't fit in my trunk. Quite a bit too small. The subwoofers I have are AudioQue HDC315. If someone can help me troubleshoot my situation... please do.

Now, i'm looking to put them in just a plain vented/ported enclosure, but i'm having trouble figuring out how to do this, with the odd dimensions of my trunk....

Maximum Width: 39"

Maximum Depth: 26"

Maximum Height: 18.5" - 19"

Now, if you take into account 3/4" MDF, I have at most:

Width: 37.5"

Depth: 24.5"

Height: 17" - 18.5"

At this point, I have 9.5ft^3 to work with. Now, subtract the 70.4L that -each- sub is going to occupy, there's a total of about 4.5ft^3 for -both- of the subs, not each.

Is my math correct here, and what are the consequences of having such limited air space for 2 large subs? I can't imagine sound quality would be good, considering I still have to subtract space for a port?

Now, i'm starting to think that my best solution is to wall in my trunk... With that being said, i'm willing, but I haven't been able to find a good explanation on how to do this (and to top it off, I don't exactly have the best woodworking history). I've searched the forums, but keep getting results of people asking similar questions and things of the nature. If someone has a chance and would like to talk 1 on 1, please contact me via PM.

Otherwise, I look forward to hearing alternatives/tips/input for this problem!

your math is very fuzzy

so you say it's 9.5 cubes and after subs it's only 4.5

lol those are some BEEFY subs lol 2.5 ft^3 ea ??

your math is very fuzzy so you say it's 9.5 cubes and after subs it's only 4.5

lol those are some BEEFY subs lol 2.5 ft^3 ea ??
After reading your post, I realized that Vas != volume occupied by the driver.

Apparently, regardless the HDC315 performs best in 4.5 ft^3 including its own displacement. So, disregard the volume occupied by the woofers.

Is 9 ft^3 really enough for these 2 enclosures? It's seeming hard to get these subs to sit in a box anywhere near that size and include a port...

with 9.5 ft^3, how would you design a box with a port (tuned below 35hz). I'm not a math major (as you can probably tell!), but everything i've come up with has had the 2 subs overlapping almost an inch?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.