Help with Electrical Upgrades

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fi-brations
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Memphis, TN
I need some help with my new build. This is the most power I'll have ever ran, and I'm not exactly sure what all I need.

My amps are an Audiosystem X-Ion 160.4 = 640w

And a Taramps DSP3k = around 3kw. So I have roughly 3640w being drawn, but I only do music so should be a little lower I guess...

For the alternator, I'm looking at this Mechman 270a alt G Series 270 amp 6 phase Nissan / Infinity 3.5L alternator - Mechman Alternators

How many batteries do I need?

As of now I have a used Deka Intimadator 105ah (not installed) and my regular, almost brand new wet cell (installed).

Do I really need to buy two large batteries of the same type and age and a smaller agm for the front? Or would I be ok to use the deka with another battery of similar size, and isolate* it from the wet cell up front (*which idk how to do yet).

If I end up getting three new batts(2 in back, 1 smaller up front, all agm) do I need or want to isolate the smaller one? That way I can have two for the amps and the small one for normal car electrical?

I'd also like to know exactly where all I need fuses and how many runs of + & -

I have a Knukonceptz fused distro with 3 fuse holders as well as one Knu inline fuse that has a 250A rn from previous build, I'm assuming I'll need a 300A now for the taramps 3k, right? The audiosystems amp has 3 x 40a on board fuses already.

Do I need to run negative to negative on the batteries or just have multiple grounds?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got my mechman alt, I just bought multiple belts of various lengths from Napa auto parts, the clerk said i could return it if it didnt fit. (which I did)

I would recommend getting a bank of maxwell caps in addition, the maxwell caps gave me the best noticeable help with voltage stabilization.(vs having more batteries) Without caps my voltage would drop very quickly.

I always heard 100ah to a 1000 watts was the recommendation for batteries to power draw.

I would recommend 2 runs of + and - (each) of 0 gauge to the back batteries.

When I got my mechman alt, I just bought multiple belts of various lengths from Napa auto parts, the clerk said i could return it if it didnt fit. (which I did)
Sounds good, my dad's a used car dealer, so he would know the napa guy or wherever as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Fi-brations

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Fi-brations
Memphis, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date