Help With Crimping Questions

what is the largest size wire you have soldered with it ? if it's any larger then 8ga. I have found it to be very difficult or impossible to do.
I don't solder as in splice, of course that would be difficult lol. I'm talking about crimping the wire and then soldering the wire inside the crimp. Basically filling it up with solder so it's one piece, sure it takes time, but all you have to do is put the solder on the wire near the crimp and make sure the solder cools shiny.

I don't solder as in splice, of course that would be difficult lol. I'm talking about crimping the wire and then soldering the wire inside the crimp. Basically filling it up with solder so it's one piece, sure it takes time, but all you have to do is put the solder on the wire near the crimp and make sure the solder cools shiny.
ok just did a practice run using what materials I had lying around and wanted to see how it would come out and I might just use this method, not sure. I mean it definitey aint coming loose and wil look better with the sleeves over it. Sorry for grainy first pic and also i know that isnt the correct wire for the lug but was trying to see how it would hold and even the smaller wire is locked solid with just one crimp though i guess 2 cimps would be better but that's crimped solid in middle

Thoughts

ok I wasn't meaning splice, I thought you were saying you soldered the ring terminal with an electric iron on heavy ga. wire without crimping
No sorry that's not what I meant, because yes that is nearly impossible with 0 gauge unless you have some factory type press and crazy electric iron.

that looks fine OP, I would still try to get as much solder down that hole as you can though

No sorry that's not what I meant, because yes that is nearly impossible with 0 gauge unless you have some factory type press and crazy electric iron.
that looks fine OP, I would still try to get as much solder down that hole as you can though
I actually found this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

tested on a larger lug putting 2 8 awg wire together for it, tight fit, crimp together and it was niccccceeeeee. Sorry didnt take a pic but that's what i will use instead.

Saving photos is acting up at moment so will try later on laptop to upload and image of it

its a heavy duty industrial crimper goes up to 4/0 i think, 24 inches long

size of real large bolt cutters

I want to find something like this.. Mount the Crimper in a Vise and nail it with an impact gun..

800-83390.jpg

i've always used a beefy set of vice grips. it takes a dozen or so squeezes, slightly decreasing jaw separation each time. if a vice is available it's no different than hammer crimps because both aren't useful in an engine bay. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

a hydraulic crimper is the tool to have if you only want one that works both on a bench and in an engine bay or trunk.

with solder, it's important to get good flow into both wire and ring terminal. flowing solder into the wire is less important than flowing into both wire and ring terminal equally. Weller has a nice handheld torch for this.

Silicone tape or Rescue Tape works well for insulating after crimping or soldering. it's self-fusing and can be color-coded. insulates to 1,000V per layer.

this is the one I have and I like it a lot,

http://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Battery-Terminal-Crimper-Crimping/dp/B00GXQ2E5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429594794&sr=8-1&keywords=16+ton+hydraulic+crimper

and this is my cheapie butane torch that I solder with

Self-igniting Butane Micro-torch - Power Soldering Equipment - Amazon.com

all of this works great for making new cables, as KHA says, working around the engine bay or inside of the vehicle, the crimper is manageable where as the hammer and punch would have to be used on the ground or an anvil.

this is the one I have and I like it a lot,
TMS® 16 Ton Hydraulic Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper Crimping Tool 11 Dies - - Amazon.com

and this is my cheapie butane torch that I solder with

Self-igniting Butane Micro-torch - Power Soldering Equipment - Amazon.com

all of this works great for making new cables, as KHA says, working around the engine bay or inside of the vehicle, the crimper is manageable where as the hammer and punch would have to be used on the ground or an anvil.
nice. I need to look at a few soldering videos

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.