help with chipped slug

Participant count
  • Participant list

momax_powers
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Canada
i just picked this up through the local classifieds for $50. 15" RE MT blown. The bottom motor slug is chipped at the bottom and the coils read perfect at 0.7 but the cone rubs so im afraid maybe the motor shifted...just an uneducated guess though. Here are the pics let me know what you think, will i have any issues with the magnet like that

edit: plan it to recone it before use

IMG_1608_zps3d537773.jpg

IMG_1607_zps72b9ca13.jpg

IMG_1606_zpsd2ba0151.jpg

cut it open and find out, simple as that...

Coil probably was overheated and bulged a little, that could be the rubbing. Shifted motor would be a LOUD scraping and hard to move up/down

cut it open and find out, simple as that...
Coil probably was overheated and bulged a little, that could be the rubbing. Shifted motor would be a LOUD scraping and hard to move up/down
yea i cut it open and as soon as i released the surround and then pushed down the rubbing decreased a lot and i began to see that the guy did a ****** recone job. After cutting the spiders and taking the cone assembly out i was pleased to see that it wasnt shifted and there was a lot of debris in the gap.

will the cracked slug coupled with the missing piece of magnet change the magnetic force on one side of the motor altering its magnetic force and ruining alignment of how the coil will sit in the gap? if that makes sense

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.