Help with an OUTPUT transistor!

CrazyKenKid
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Canada
hey guys i have acciquid a kicker 650.1 amp for 20$ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif but i have come to find there is a blown output transistor....umm can anyone shead some insight on what has to be done to fix it and or what an output transistor even looks like.?

i was assuming it is a simple soddering job, but i am normaly wrong.

anywyas lend some input if you can and thanks a million!

Kenneth

Look
repairbasics.htm
for a tutorial on basic amp repair!

If you give me the amp model number, I might be able to tell you what you need.

Beware!!.. If the outputs are shorted, there is a possiblity, that the SWPS is bad to.

Often amps are driven to excess and the output transistors fail and the power supply goes with it.

hey guys i will post some pics once it gets to my house and thanks so much for wanting to help out!!! you guys rock!

same thing happend to my hifonics bxi1206

the power supply and the output transistors died:(

a car audio tech shop is asking about $140 to fix...which is also what i paid for the amp

any suggestions?

The screen may be powered directly off the 12V feed coming into the amp. It will light up and run even though your secondary power rails are fried.

The actual amplifier section is run off of higher voltages created by the switched mode power supply (SMPS). I rarely see the actual SMPS controller fry when the FETs go bad. Some times you just replace all the FETs on both sides of the primary and you're good to go. Other times output transistors also fried (secondary side) which probably took out the power supply FETs to begin with.

Got a multimeter?

Ge0

okay guys here is what is going on! I now have the amp in my hands i pulled off the cover and i don't know what to do now.! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif any idea's? basically i don't see discolouration on the board itself.

umm i have been told the out put transistor is blown but i don't know what that looks like. i can get my hands on a multi-meter but i don't know what to check or what i am even checking.. i assume ohm's. and also do i need to take the boad out to check whatever it is which maybe bad?

also i don't have a camera my stupid ***** aunt took both the old and newer camera with her to texas for her vaction, (stupid ppl) so any help here would be hot, i jsut got off the phone with kicker and to fix the output transistor they want like 35$! but i know a guy who is local who can resolder stuff onto a boad for 20$

thanks in advances!

Send it to Kicker, don't mess around with it because I can just about guarranee it will cost you a lot more money after you are done... POLO. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ya you are the second guy to tell me to jsut send it to them! and thus i will take your guys advice and just send it in and let them fix it!

thanks for the advice

Kenneth

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.