Help with a hfi 1000 and kicker l7

Project35

I am a newbie to car audio so please take it easy on me.

My headunit is a JVC and i have it on loud with the sub settings as mid frequency. The general eq is set with the bass at 80hz it is at 0 (flat) and is at 1.25 on some other setting which i dont know (those shouldnt effect the subwoofer though right?

So i am having an issue where the sub doesnt kick basically at all unless the bass boost is at a little past halfway.

I have the low pass around 25-30 (cant quite tell) the bass eq is at 10db subsonic is at 20 and level is at 2. Do you guys have any ideas as to why this happens?

sounds like a lack of power. be sure your sub is dual 2 ohm and wire it to 1 ohm for that amp to get the most out of it.

In my experience with Hifonics amps, I too had to crank my gain a little higher than I liked to get sufficient bass. but at any rate, make sure your sub is dual 2 and wired to 1 ohm.

Well it isnt the sub, it cam wired from the factory in a box at 2 ohms. I put in the other 500w amp and all the sudden it actually works.

I could turn the gain all the way up on the hifonics amp and nothing would change btw. I am also wondering if bad rca cables had something to do with it.

did everyone else miss the part where it's set @ mid-range?

set the amp to low-pass, set the lpf to 80-100(whichever sounds best to you) and try the bass eq on the head unit flat, bass boost off 0db gain(or in the middle, whichever it's settings are) set the subsonic where kicker recommends for that box and set the gain on the amp. don't know the amps' settings off-hand, but make sure it is not set to slave (master-slave switch, if equiped) the rcas are on the proper input, not pass-through/out, and you don't want to just go cranking the gain all the way up, just small adjustments to get the level right, but we can go deeper into that later. the numbers on the eq you are wondering about is the roll-off of the gain at that frequency, if that makes sense.... the numbers indicate how steep the slope, or how much quieter it gets as the frequency moves away

if your sub is wired to 2 ohms, then your amp is only doing 500 rms if it even does rated, and with box rise, you may be closer to 4 ohms or 250 watts, your 500w amp may actually do closer to 600 depending if its a quality aamp and its only stable to 2 ohms, lots of different reasons

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.