help: what's with the batery

mdd99
10+ year member

here is my problem...a few month ago i hook up my head unit and b/c it doesn't work with the rem wire, i go ahead and used the battery wire....and slowly day by days my battery get weaker so i disconnect the wire from the amp to the battery wire in the HU...and now..it still seem that the battery is still weak...it really hard for me to used the alarm because i think of the battery and when i leave my door open for two to three hours ...the battery went dead even though my door have no light or anything..........what could be the problem ?...is it the battery or the alternator......i have an accord 98 and don't know how many amp it is in the alternator....how can i tested to see which one it is...i also have a multimeter but don't know how to used it to test the voltage on the battery......i would be very thankfull if you guys try to help me out with this one cuzz i'm planning to hook up a 1200 watt system and very concern about this problem...

Ghetto rigging at its best.

From what i can comprehend you have your amp(s) remote lead hooked up directly to the battery ?

If this is the case you did a stupid thing and need to re wire.

*Translation*

Here is my problem-

A few months ago I installed my head unit and because it did not work with the remote wire I went ahead and used the constant power wire, then slowly day by day my battery got weaker. So i disconnected the wire from the amp to the constant power wire in the HU, and now it still seem that the battery is still weak. What could be the problem ?, is it the battery or the alternator. I have a 98 accord and don't know how many amps the alternator is rated for. Where can I get the alternator tested to see what its output is?. I also have a multimeter but don't know how to use it to test the voltage on the battery.(Then why did you buy one?) I would be very thankful if you guys would try to help me with this one because I am planning to hook up a 1200 watt amplifier soon and I am worried about this problem.

It sounds like you're shitty wiring damaged you're battery and you're alternator

(it is really hard for me to use the alarm because i think of the battery and when i leave my door open for two to three hours ...the battery went dead even though my door have no light or anything)WTF does this mean?,

Do you not have a dome light in that '98 Accord? Even if you don't with the door open you're arming a circuit that tells the car that there's a door open (think Open Door icon lit up on the dashboard) Normally even after two or three hours that dummy light alone shouldn't be enough of a draw to completely drain a good battery. A weak one, naturally, will not last so long.

Hopefully I've translated the gibberish you posted correctly and what you've done is connect the head unit's switched power connection to constant power where the unit is on permanently [does it not turn off from the power button either?] (and as a result is slowly killing the battery over a period of days).

It is possible the constant weak state of the battery has killed one or more of the internal cells and it needs to be replaced.

The alternator having to charge your battery back up from dead by itself constantly could have charbroiled it.

Take your ride to AutoZone or whatever's handy in your area (most parts houses do battery/alternator checks for free nowadays) and have both tested. Replace what's defective if either.

Before you do any of that, however, wire the head properly. Itll help, I promise. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ghetto rigging at its best.From what i can comprehend you have your amp(s) remote lead hooked up directly to the battery ?

If this is the case you did a stupid thing and need to re wire.
HA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif x2

thank for the help guys....and when i say connect the amp to the battery wire..i meant the rem wire from the amp to the batery wire in the HU.(yellow wire)...which the amp cannot be turn off...and it was suggested by some people in this forum....b/c for some reason...when i connected the amp rem to the HU REM..it only turn the amp on when i had it switch to radio...so i hook it up to the wire that says battery.

Read you're manual, it will explain why the romote on lead only worked when the radio was on.

Hint- ones for a power antenna and the other one is for an amplifier (one solid blue, the other blue with a white stripe)

They both do the same thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
But supa, on every head unit I've ever seen that has two separate leads - one meant for amps/EQs/whatever and another for a power antenna the lead for power antenna only has current when in tuner mode.

When in CD mode or Auxiliary input (if applicable) the lead for a power antenna has no active current ~ hence no amplifier activation once off of tuner mode. They both serve the same purpose...passive activation of whatever they're connected to...but they don't technically do the same thing.

Truly? Pioneers keep current in the antenna lead even when not in tuner mode? The last Pioneer I had my hands directly on was a DEH-P3600 (I think - one of the lowest models that has .mp3 capability) and it didn't carry current in the antenna output if it wasn't on tuner mode. If the newer ones do I stand corrected.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.