HELP !!! What type of front and rear speakers should I choose?

mikpsychos

Hi, I am new to the forum, and have what is probably an easy question for you "experts. I am putting a budget system in my son's 2006 Sebring convertible, consisting of Pioneer 8500 head unit and a Planet Audio 5 channel amp (sub to follow at a later date). I am not interested in doing components..I just want to know what type of speakers would work best front and rear for best sound and imaging...coaxial, triaxial, 5 way, etc. I am not changing out the dash 3.5" speakers, and there are 6x9's in doors by the knees, and in the rear sides by passenger elbows. Thanks!

6x9 component speakers will be the best bang for your buck and get your son better sound without pulling the sound stage down to his knees. The price may be more reasonable than you're aware of. If you really won't do that then put in 6x9 2-way coaxials and disconnect the dash speakers. They won't sound good together.

get a nice pair of component speakers (splits) that have the ability the be mounted as a two was speaker. or even two sets, then get your sub.

i'd disconnect the 3.5"speakers in the dash, depending on were abouts they are, it might be worth getting splits and mounting the tweeters in those factory positions

A convertible, i wouldn't worry about staging etc.

I'd just try to get it as loud and clear as possible, that wind and road noise is gonna eat up whatever staging there would be, and your gonna need volume to overcome that.

if I do 6x9 coax front and rear, won't I be missing out on some sound/imaging? seems like a pair of 4 or 5 way 6x9's, front or rear. would "complete" more sound ranges. That seems logical to me, at least, but what the hell do I know. If I am correct, however, would you put the fuller range speakers in the front or rear? I already know the dash speakers are gonna go.

You won't miss out on anything no matter how many speakers contained on a coaxial. Your typical 2 way coax will cover the entire frequency spectrum just fine.

Something I'd be concerned with is power. If you want it to get up to volume and remain clear, and sound good, you need a good power source and a clean signal. This means a decent 4 channel amp. Look at the PPI bk 800.4, plenty of power available per channel.

Thing is, if you don't have enough power on tap, you'll start getting an awful sound as soon as the volume goes up. Plenty of power will mean a clear signal and clear sound at higher volumes.

Chances are if you don't supply enough power with a decent amp, your gonna use the volume knob to compensate which could potentially damage equipment while sounding like *** anyway.

I'd also look at deadening the doors to help your speakers reach their full install potential.

Everything I'm suggesting is in consideration that this is a convertible.

if I do 6x9 coax front and rear, won't I be missing out on some sound/imaging? seems like a pair of 4 or 5 way 6x9's, front or rear. would "complete" more sound ranges. That seems logical to me, at least, but what the hell do I know. If I am correct, however, would you put the fuller range speakers in the front or rear? I already know the dash speakers are gonna go.
Imaging does not come from 4- or 5-way 6x9s instead of simple 2-way 6x9s. The Chrysler speaker layout is practical to get a lot of sound coming from up high, with bass coming from the door where the height isn't nearly as important. That is one way to get better imaging and staging.

Staging - very loosely defined, this is the sensation that the band is playing on the dash

Imaging - being able to close your eyes with the the music playing and to hear different instruments and vocals coming from specific places on the stage

The way music is recorded and mixed will have a big effect on imaging. Does your son care if the music is focused up above the dash? Are you doing this for you or for him?

Thanks. everyone, for your opinions. Still would love to hear a few more ideas, if anyone has a couple of minutes. And btw, I probably care how it sounds more than my son does....he just wants it loud, I prefer quality (and I like to turn it up to 11 sometimes, too) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

6x9's all around? I'd be looking at the Image Dynamics CTX set for that price range. 120ish online and they really are great set for that price. Spend your extra few dollars that are left from the budget on a bit of sound deading for the front doors and you'll be golden

most aftermarket 6x9s wont fit in the front door locations without some modifications. (Depth being the issue) The stock 6x9s are very shallow, and good choice to do is get an adapter plate for 6x9s to 6.5s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.