Help what am I looking for???

Participant count
  • Participant list

SoundNewb
10+ year member

I'm looking at 10's or 12's but I'm not even sure if that is too big/much. I want a sub that will let me feel a little bass and add bass to the song but not overpower it. I like to hear the words and other instruments. So should I skip the sub all together, go smaller like 8's, put any sub in and turn it wayyyy down and have the ability to crank it when needed? Last time I did any of this stuff I was 18 and I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 15" Realistic subwoofers and built a box that took up the whole backseat of my 82 Dodge Aries LOL. If putting said sub into a box that is sealed(I assume no ports?) is better for my cause let me hear it! Thanks for your input and help!!

So no port holes and you say large how large should I go? Will I get to a point where it's too large??? What kind of sound do I get from a small box as opposed to a large box? Is it deeper bass, more solid thump type bass? I listen to alot of different music from heavy rock(disturbed, godsmack) to classical some pop/hip hop even country when I'm in the mood.

So no port holes and you say large how large should I go? Will I get to a point where it's too large??? What kind of sound do I get from a small box as opposed to a large box? Is it deeper bass, more solid thump type bass? I listen to alot of different music from heavy rock(disturbed, godsmack) to classical some pop/hip hop even country when I'm in the mood.
1 or 2 8'' assassins in a sealed box? wouldn't take up much box room at all, and at 49.99 each wouldn't be very expensive either....

just a thought?

Sealed boxes are generally for sound quality and ported are for spl (loud). If you listen to a lot of rock you are looking for tight (punchy) bass. The size of the box really is up to what kind of subs you buy.

X2 you should look into two 8's also.

That sounds good! Can you name off a few more subs that are in the assassin class? So 2 8's would benifit me more than say one assassin 12? Oh and I had one more question about subs......what are the 2 sets of RCA's for? Input output? I'm clueless about that....(saw a pic of a sub that had two sets???)

I'm putting CDT CL-61 comps in the front and a pair of 4" something in the rear doors. You feel I'll get all I want outta just that setup?
Well, I was thinking more of a 3 way witha midrange woofer and a mid bass woofer for bass. Instead of a 2 way with a midrange/mibass woofer like the CL-61's have, not saying that those won't satisfy you or lack in bass output. I just think if you don't want overpowering bass this is the way to go and you will most likely spend less money.

I say skip the sub use the extra money you save from the sub+sub amp and get a real good 3 way component set. It should provide enough bass for your liking.
Unless he's going way out on the expensive end with a 3-way including an 8" woofer and then going to the trouble to build a proper enclosure for it up front somewhere, he's gonna be better off with a 2-way and a sub.

What kind of budget are you looking at? How much space are you willing to give to the sub system? How much power are you planning on running to the front speakers?

Well as it stands now this is what I have.

Front doors CDT CL-61 comps

Rear doors 4" not sure yet

Amp for the front and rear doors Crossfire BMF TEK 50.4

Sub nothing yet

Amp for sub nothing yet

It's a 98 Subaru Forester so I could build a decent size box but I don't want to take up the whole rear. Budget as cheap as I can get without losing quality of the product. I don't need the big name brand but I don't want it falling apart in a week. hehe

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.