Help w my application: 8" back-firing or 10" up-firing?

Participant count
  • Participant list

teoulennon
10+ year member

MS
I'm putting a system together for my 645ci and am looking to get the most spl (and still sound good for daily listening of course) out of the smallest package so I can save trunk space.

1ft^3 max, going ported.

The forum won't let me post a pic of the trunk but the distance from the bottom to top is 10" so I'm limited to that height, putting the box right up against the rear seats.

I was going to go with a ported sa8 back-firing but I could prob do a 10" firing up.

So here's the question: would the 10" option work/sound good?

Other suggestions are welcome!

In my experiences, I prefer firing back in a trunk - up in an ext cab truck or suv. Yes it will work either way, but if you plan on firing up I would invest a lot of time and effort into sound deadening your trunk lid and rear deck heavily (as well as everything else like normal) unless you like the sound of rattle ;-)

i would pick the 8" back firing. putting a 10" speaker upfiring and only giving it 10" from max excursion to the bottom of the box will be to tight. By the time you figure the thickness of the wood and port area behind the woofer you will be choking it or have it backed up against it completely. Good luck with your choice and look forward to hear what you choose

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was afraid I'd hear those answers.

The part that will be above the sub is actually a shelf that holds the convertible top so it's prob a horrible idea to use that setup anyway.

I was really hoping to squeeze a 10" or 2 8's in a box under 1ft^3 but I don't think that's happening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.