HELP Sealed to Ported

Participant count
  • Participant list

nellystyle22
10+ year member

One more question guys. I went to hifi buys and the guy said for my 2 12" RF 3112 and the 2 memphis 1000d amps to go with a sealed box. that was ****ing stupidity on my part, i didnt know much then, and especially with RF you need ported. I spend 175 on a custom box I dont want to pay 250 at hifi buys to get a ported. Is there anyway I can get the sealed box that they custom made to be ported? If not where can I get a ported box that will be good and cheap for my explorer, thanks.

One more question guys. I went to hifi buys and the guy said for my 2 12" RF 3112 and the 2 memphis 1000d amps to go with a sealed box. that was ****ing stupidity on my part, i didnt know much then, and especially with RF you need ported. I spend 175 on a custom box I dont want to pay 250 at hifi buys to get a ported. Is there anyway I can get the sealed box that they custom made to be ported? If not where can I get a ported box that will be good and cheap for my explorer, thanks.

first u need to go to hifi and tell them their stupid for saying ur stupid. if the sealed box was built correctly, the rf's will be fine in it. ported will be louder, but not sound as crisp.

if the box u have will support being ported for ur subs...it won't be hard to do..BUT

what size is ur current box? net w sub?

what are the specs that rf recommends for a ported box for ur sub?

u need to answer those b4 u port.

but the most important...how does ur current set-up sound to u? if u like it..leave it

if u want louder..port it

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

according to my rf book.....rf recommends 1.25ft^3 for ur 3112's...so if sealed was dumb, why does rf give a recommended size? hmmmmmmm..salesmen

vented they (rf) recommends 2ft^3...so ur boxes might be a touch small..the smallest ported box they suggest is 1.75ft^3..after sub and port displacement.

in your sub's owners manual they give you the diminsions to build a ported box for ur sub(s)..so i would suggest u build ur own, if possible....the homework is done, u just need to make a trip to Lowe's.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

First of all, make sure you know what you're doing. My bet is, once you port this box it's going to be tuned to around 50hz. If that's the case, you can kiss your low end goodbye. It's too easy to make mistakes with ported systems and once you do, you'll get one-note-bass syndrome. My advice to you is either tune it low or leave it sealed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.