Help put two 15s in a Blazer, keep back seat.

SquishY
10+ year member

This won't be my first box build, but it will be my first of this size. Will be trying to keep my back seats but if not, oh well. This will be my post tax time build, trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Two door blazer, two AQ HDC3 15s, one AQ 3500D. The space I have to work in is 37" wide, 19.5" tall(20.25", if you add the double baffle), 26" deep. Aiming for 6.5~ cubes after displacements, 32-33hz.

My current plan is four 6" round ports 38" long inside the box, obviously this is too long unless bending them should work in theory, but the only way I see to do it would be across the bottom starting in a corner and bend in the box like a few 'L's inside each other, would this be ok as long as their length remains the same? Or would it be a problem for the bend to be in different places on each port?

That is way too much port for a pair of 15's. Do like 150-175 in^2 of port along the bottom of the box using a slot port, way cheaper and you'll get damn near the same results

box is way too small, shoot for 8-8.5cubes net. For daily set ups I've never had good luck with smaller enclosures for HDC's. 3.75 is the smallest I've done for a 15 and it wasn't ideal.

go with about 3.5 cu ft per sub, subs up port back, with about 15-17 sq inches of port per cu ft. I would go with port center, but port along the bottom is another option...

go with about 3.5 cu ft per sub, subs up port back, with about 15-17 sq inches of port per cu ft. I would go with port center, but port along the bottom is another option...
AQ subs like larger volume and large port area. 3.5 is to small if you want to keep a good low end.

Had 2 of the hdc3 15s in my 97 blazer in 7 cubes with 2 6" aeros and had no problem playing in the mid 20 hz range nicely.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

3.5 is large for a 15, he could get away with 3 cu ft per sub ill bet.
3.5 isnt large at all for a 15

3.5 is large for a 15, he could get away with 3 cu ft per sub ill bet.
3.5 is not large. As far as "getting away" with a smaller box, yes you can many times. However there is always something lacking. You can play low with a small enclosure as well, just not with the same type of intensity you can with a larger volume ith those drivers. The idea behind designing is to get the most from the subs in the given application. Not to "make it work".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.