help plz. vented vs sealed in camaro

Dlux
10+ year member

Kingpin
hey guys,

ive already paid a deposit, but this friday im having a 12" MTX 5500 sub, and the MTX Thunder amp (600w) installed in my '97 camaro. the guy at the car audio shop is installing it for me, b/c im new to this and i would rather have it done right the first time so i can learn for future reference. i told him that i listen to rap music and would prefer a vented box b/c, to my understanding, they produce more bass. he said that b/c my camaro is a hatchback that a sealed box will do fine and the hatchback will act as my vent. is that true or is he bullshitting me so that he doesnt have to apply as much effort when building the custom enclosure?

sorry for the long post.

thanks in advance.

hey guys,ive already paid a deposit, but this friday im having a 12" MTX 5500 sub, and the MTX Thunder amp (600w) installed in my '97 camaro. the guy at the car audio shop is installing it for me, b/c im new to this and i would rather have it done right the first time so i can learn for future reference. i told him that i listen to rap music and would prefer a vented box b/c, to my understanding, they produce more bass. he said that b/c my camaro is a hatchback that a sealed box will do fine and the hatchback will act as my vent. is that true or is he bullshitting me so that he doesnt have to apply as much effort when building the custom enclosure?

sorry for the long post.

thanks in advance.
He is lying, it is just a pain to do a proper ported setup in a f body. I got loudest with 2 10's ported in mine.

sealed would probably be loud enough for you but ur the customer and you said ported so whys he arguing with you?

please install this yourself. im willing to bet that in a couple days you are starting a thread *****ing about the shitty install he did. wiring up that camaro is one of the easiest installs ive done and plenty of people on here would be willing to help along the way if you had questions. ur just going to pay wayyyy to much for very little work.

Yea I'd call bs. I had a 96 Camaro that I removed the back seat and put two Kicker XPL 15's (this was in '99) in a sealed box with just a Kicker ZR360 pushing them and it hit really good..if I remember correctly it hit a 142 db between the front seats. And when I removed the t-tops it made it really come alive.

Sealed will be fine. Those cars slam.
im sure it will be loud, but ik it will be louder if its ported.

please install this yourself. im willing to bet that in a couple days you are starting a thread *****ing about the shitty install he did. wiring up that camaro is one of the easiest installs ive done and plenty of people on here would be willing to help along the way if you had questions. ur just going to pay wayyyy to much for very little work.
i would, but ive already paid the deposit, and i JUST moved here (scottsdale, AZ) so all my table saws, radial saws, jig saws, etc etc is in storage until i move into my actual house (im just in an apt. temporarily).

and at least this way, if anything messes up, i can just carry it back to the audio shop and blame it all on them.

thanks for all the help guys. much appreciated.

will post pics of the system tonight....im going to get it installed right now.

peace

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.