Help me with improving my Jeep stereo please

Participant count
  • Participant list

PA85

MN
Hi guys, Noob here looking for some advice. There is a ton of information on this forum and elsewhere on the net that it gets overwhelming and confusing to try and figure stuff out.

I have a 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee that came with the base, non amplified stereo.

I replaced the factory stereo with the following:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X7500HD,

Dash speakers: Infinity-Reference-3032

Front door speakers: Infinity-Reference-9632cf

Rear door speakers: Infinity-Reference-6032cf

Stock the Jeep runs the dash 3.5 inch speakers and the front door 6x9's off the front channel, the rear door 6.5 off the rear channel. So my pioneer head unit is just wired with the harness adapter into the stock wiring. You can tell the rears get a little more juice than the fronts.

It was an improvement over the stock system, and I've been happy with it up until now.

I have a Rockford Fosgate RFZ3408 Punch z 8 inch subwoofer I plan on building a box for and installing. I'm not looking for much, and this I've had laying around forever so it's what I plan on using. I need help with a decent amp for it though.

I was originally thinking of putting just a small amp for the sub, now I'm thinking of maybe going with a 5 channel and powering the speakers too.

Will the amp be ok with the 4 speakers on the front channel and the 2 on the rear? I don't know how the speakers are wired by Jeep.

Looking for advice please. Looking to keep things affordable. Don't want to swap out any other speakers.

Thanks and sorry it's so long.

Hi guys, Noob here looking for some advice. There is a ton of information on this forum and elsewhere on the net that it gets overwhelming and confusing to try and figure stuff out. I have a 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee that came with the base, non amplified stereo.

I replaced the factory stereo with the following:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X7500HD,

Dash speakers: Infinity-Reference-3032

Front door speakers: Infinity-Reference-9632cf

Rear door speakers: Infinity-Reference-6032cf

Stock the Jeep runs the dash 3.5 inch speakers and the front door 6x9's off the front channel, the rear door 6.5 off the rear channel. So my pioneer head unit is just wired with the harness adapter into the stock wiring. You can tell the rears get a little more juice than the fronts.

It was an improvement over the stock system, and I've been happy with it up until now.

I have a Rockford Fosgate RFZ3408 Punch z 8 inch subwoofer I plan on building a box for and installing. I'm not looking for much, and this I've had laying around forever so it's what I plan on using. I need help with a decent amp for it though.

I was originally thinking of putting just a small amp for the sub, now I'm thinking of maybe going with a 5 channel and powering the speakers too.

Will the amp be ok with the 4 speakers on the front channel and the 2 on the rear? I don't know how the speakers are wired by Jeep.

Looking for advice please. Looking to keep things affordable. Don't want to swap out any other speakers.

Thanks and sorry it's so long.
Go with a 5 channel amp. Amping your speakers will make them sound considerably better with midrange and midbass. Most 5 channels are 2 ohm stable with the speakers so yes, you can have 4 speakers in front and two in the back.

However for sound quality purposes, why not have the amp on 4 front speakers and put the rear speakers on head unit power. You'd want the most power into the front where you are sitting and listening not the back. You want a concert in front of you, not behind you.

Whats the budget for the 5 channel amp?

I want to stay at or below $250 for the amp. When I first started thinking about doing this I was hoping I could stay even cheaper, but after digging into things that doesn't seem to be the case.

I guess I was thinking 5 channel to power all of the speakers, but I guess you're right that the sound in front is probably better. I deal with that a little now with the fact that the HU powers 4 speakers on the front channel. It would probably be cheaper for just powering the front speakers too with a 4 channel I'm guessing.

I want to stay at or below $250 for the amp. When I first started thinking about doing this I was hoping I could stay even cheaper, but after digging into things that doesn't seem to be the case.
Precision Power BA2200.5 (ba22005) 1100W Black Ice Series 5

Should be good for what you are going for, will power up everything decently keeping within budget. The specs are listed wrong for the wiring though, It needs thicker 4 gauge inputs not 8 gauge.

I like the price. Precision power a decent amp then I take it? Putting about double the RMS I need for the sub, but I can always turn the gain down for that I assume. You got me second guessing the 5 channel and amping the back door speakers now.

I like the price. Precision power a decent amp then I take it? Putting about double the RMS I need for the sub, but I can always turn the gain down for that I assume. You got me second guessing the 5 channel and amping the back door speakers now.
It should be fine for your setup. PPi has always been pretty reliable. Yes you can turn the gains down. Amp the front 4 front speakers with all for remaining channels. Keep the back speakers in head unit power. No need to amp the back at all. In sound quality competitions they usually have the rears off because it detracts from the soundstage.

It should be fine for your setup. PPi has always been pretty reliable. Yes you can turn the gains down. Amp the front 4 front speakers with all for remaining channels. Keep the back speakers in head unit power. No need to amp the back at all. In sound quality competitions they usually have the rears off because it detracts from the soundstage.
How do I go about just amping the front 4? Run new speaker wire? I don't really want to tear into the dash too much if I don't have to. Those front 3.5 inch speakers are rated up to 25rms is all, so I would really need to keep the gains down to not feed them a ton right?

How do I go about just amping the front 4? Run new speaker wire? I don't really want to tear into the dash too much if I don't have to. Those front 3.5 inch speakers are rated up to 25rms is all, so I would really need to keep the gains down to not feed them a ton right?
Use the stock wiring. You will need to take out the head unit to do reach the RCA's in the back anyways.

Where would I want to connect to the stock wiring?
Find out the speaker wiring diagram for your head unit. Run speaker wires from your amp to your head unit along with the necessary RCAs and connect it thats all. Check out 4 channel amp installations on youtube for better detail.

Find out the speaker wiring diagram for your head unit. Run speaker wires from your amp to your head unit along with the necessary RCAs and connect it thats all. Check out 4 channel amp installations on youtube for better detail.
Perfect, thanks. Think it will be ok with that amp feeding into those little 25 watt rms dash speakers?

should be fine, gain match properly and you should be set. If not then just leave the dash speakers on head unit power of amp all the other speakers.
If I run the the 4 channels of the amp for the front 4 speakers, how many sets of rca cables do I need to the amp? I'm leaning towards this amp instead of the one you suggested. I want the smaller footprint of the amp, and I don't think I need the extra potential power. Powerbass seems to get good reviews on the forums from what I read. PowerBass ASA 700.5X (ASA700.5X) 5-Channel Amplifier

Thanks for all the help so far. Just want to make sure I order everything I need right away so I can just hook **** up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.