HELP ME PLEASE!? Kicker L7 making "Rattling sound"

Hi there, i was wondering if any one knew what might be wrong with my sub when it hits the higher notes it makes a rattling sound and i was thinging its a blown voice coil? any info on how to go about repairing it? ive been looking high and low and just cant find a diagram or pics or any info on how to go about this. please anything will help. Thanks, -Kev
didnt feel like reading all 5 pages

but i had a L7 15" and the glue in cone came lose and broke off and rattled around inside the cone. I could only hear it on the high notes. It was too late to save mine the glue chunks got down into the coil and caused alot of frictions and messed up the spider glue and the coil and coil leads.

so if its not too late maybe i can fix it?

didnt feel like reading all 5 pages
but i had a L7 15" and the glue in cone came lose and broke off and rattled around inside the cone. I could only hear it on the high notes. It was too late to save mine the glue chunks got down into the coil and caused alot of frictions and messed up the spider glue and the coil and coil leads.

so if its not too late maybe i can fix it?
well when i first figured it out i took the sub out and on the back side of the cone is some vents, i cut out the vent protection mesh and shook the sub untill all this little black peices of hard glue came out. Put it back in but it still sounded like poo but there was no rattleing. Untill one day it just let go and all i heard was a big pop and then nothing...

This was the damage it caused //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Image00131.jpg

Image00141.jpg

And dont worry when it first started rattleing i called kicker and they wont replace for free but $250 plus shipping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

so i was wrong the nob is X-OVER 40HZ-300HZ??>.

it cuts out all the frequencies above whatever number you set it at
example:

set it at 100 and it will only play 100hz and down but nothing higher than 100 ( not factoring in x-over slope ect.. )

what is it set at now?

Play the sub free air and see if you still have the noise, and if so where it is comming from...

I had a customer claim a sub I reconed for him had a rattle to it. After checking out his setup I found it was his speaker wire bouncing off the inside of his box making the noise. Some foam and tape around the wires and all was good again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Usually when the square Kickers rattle it is from one of the tabs on the back that connect to the cone.
had this happen to a solo x and L7... that cone gets throwing fast enough and that thing becomes snappy sounding!!!!!!!

ok, i need to know some more info......... first, take a pic of the sub. what year model is it? if i read your earlier post right, you say that your friend hooked op a jumper between both black terminals, and hooked both red terminals to the amp? (one red on (-) and one on(+)? if so, did you try to get it playing loud for a bit? if that scenario happened, you can definitely heat the coil up quick and it will rip itself apart, or at least start to. and, yes, if that started, the loose parts of the coil will rattle like a snare. listen to the sub more in depth, or describe better. does it make a snare sound with the bass thump? does it kind of make a the rattling at low volumes, but go away when you crank it? is it more of a dull rattle, like a cell-phone rattling on the table? these subs are more difficult to repair than most, but not impossible. i would be willing to donate free labor to fix it for you, too, just need to know a lot more specifics about what happened, and what is going on........oh, and does it smell burned?

The coil probly rubbed and you had it clipping(turned the volume louder then you should have). I doubt the spiders ripped like the early pic posted because he said only happens at higher frequencies, whenever a sub is blown i notice the higher freqs could cause rubbing while the lows play actually alot nicer, but this obviously depends. It will be obvious if it is blown after trying diff songs or tones etc, just play with it. Even itf the spider sagged and needs replace, the coil is probly still messedup and if not you still have to rebuild it.

Look for the member splaudio on here and ask him to fix it for you.

Make sure it is wired correctly before you assume it is blown though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.