HELP ME Please!!! Kenwood Receiver is Going Crazy!

Participant count
  • Participant list

globe9

Hi,

I am a female who bought a decent stereo system(or so I thought) thru Crutchfield about 3 years ago. I got a Kenwood cassette receiver with CD changer controls, Kenwood 10 disc changer, Kenwood amp, and 4 Infinity speakers. I had all of this professionally installed by a reputable shop in my area. I am not into "car audio" per se, I just wanted a better system than the factory radio I had.

Well this worked great for 3 years, then about 6 months ago, I brought my car to a car wash where they messed up the installation. The stereo was kind of hanging lower on one side. I argued with the manager who refused to do anything about it. The stereo still worked fine though up until about 2 months later. I have a dual illumination display and I always used the green illumination, but one day I noticed it rapidly changing from green to orange, but the stereo still worked. Then about a week later it switched to orange illumination. The stereo still lights up like its working and everything appears as it did when it was in normal working condition, but NO SOUND comes from the stereo at all. It has been like this for about 3 months now.The radio has been off that whole time, but last week just out of the blue I turned it on and the illumination was green and it WORKED! I had my radio for another week until this past Tuesday when the illumination switched back to orange again at 7:34pm and hasn't worked since. I haven't had a chance to get it looked at by anyone and my friends always volunteer, but never have the time. I am a student and on a budget so I can't just go easily replace this receiver with a new one or pay $100 to have this fixed.

Could someone please help me or give me some advice? This sounds crazy to me and I don't know what to do. The stereo obviously works, since it did all last week, but maybe there is a short or something?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like u have some wires touching behind your deck, u should get one of your friends that knows about this stuff to check it out, or if the place u got it installed at has a lifetime warrenty bring it to them and just don't tell them about the whole car wash thing

Most stereo shops offer a lifetime warranty on the work that they do. If you can, take it back to them. If you decide to take it back to them though, don't have your friends look at it first because that may void the install warranty. The illumination changing color has nothing to do with any wires touching. It could just be that the deck has had it's day in the sun and it's crapping out. If that's the case, the good news is you can get a brand new in dash Kenwood CD player to control that changer. Don't feel bad, Kenwood is good stuff, you bought good equipment. Electronics just don' last forever. Good luck!

First thing, since I am from New Orleans too. Is where did you get it installed? Please do not say Mobile One. If so however I do haev a friend that works at their Veterans location that can probably fix it for free of charge if they did it. I do know a lot of other people at various other shops in the area and if you had it installed at one of them I can possibly help out by getting ahold of one of them and letting them know you are comming in with this problem. If I was down there right now I would offer even to help out and take a look at it, but unfortunately I am in MN for a couple of months. Feel free to get ahold of me tho. Either on this post or thru my email or any one of my online screennames and I will be more than glad to help out.

One more thing. Which detailing shop did this? If it is Oasis I know the managers of two of their locations and can speak with them. If it was any other one I may or may not know them as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.