Help me please!! Headunit install

fernandez10

Hi guys new to forums, looking for some help please! I have a 95 chevy silverado 1500. Iam putting my alpine head unit in it. I bought a connector to connect to factory harness. Not my first time using one so everything went smooth, color to color. Weng to connect to head unit, turned key and nothing. So i tried swapping yellow and red, still nothing. So i tied uellows and reds together in one bunch and hot power but retained no memory (have to re-set all settings everytime) which is wierd for me cause its first time i have ever ran into this. I have heard something about having to tap into guse panel, so i bought a fuse tap and ran a wire to the head unit and nothing. Im soo confused can someone please help me, pictures or a diagram would help. ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

you need one of these

12volt_test_light.JPG

Looks like your main power fuse "aka yellow wire" from your truck is blown. Check your fuse box for blown fuse. One on end of drivers side dash, and one under the hood. Check with a continuity tester.

Thanks guys. I know the fuse on driver side is good. I have not checked one under hood, although i can say i didnt know there was one under there. ALL wiring is messed up beings i got someone elses project. So im trying to fix a mess. I will post update after i use the tester and check fuse and let you know what i find. Once again thanks!

you also may not have a stock ignition wire in your car. try running your red wire to your wiper fuse on your fuse box. if your car doesnt have a stock ignition wire like mine, then your hu wont fire up because there is no wire there to power it up.

Replaced my HU and had no power, I checked the fuses, all looked good. Took it to an installer and checked my fuses and found out one that looked good was blown. Things aren't always what they seem.

If the yellow constant 12v+ wire shows no power at the harness, you either have a bad fuse or a break in the wire on down the harness. You can use a fuse tap off of the radio fuse and run a new constant wire to the radio.

Check w/multi meter power/continuity on both sides of each part of the harness. Sometimes the pins are not in the right place, make sure they line up. I had to move one on the one I got. You might need to find out why the fuse blew to correct the problem.

Step 1) Check yellow wire with DMM it should have 12 Volts with key off.

Step 2) Check red wire it should have 12 Volts with key on.

Step 3) Check black wire for good ground. Check continuity to know good metal ground source.

If all check out ok, your radio may have blown fuse, or is just bad. Try a different radio if you have one.

Let me know what you find.

Ok i will check with meter later on this week. I did try to run a tap from wiper fuse to red wire today, and nothing. This thing has soo many issues with ALL wiring. So next time iam gonna take the dash completly out and trace out all wires will keep updated on what i find, and once again, appreciate all info

Step 1) Check yellow wire with DMM it should have 12 Volts with key off.
Step 2) Check red wire it should have 12 Volts with key on.

Step 3) Check black wire for good ground. Check continuity to know good metal ground source.

If all check out ok, your radio may have blown fuse, or is just bad. Try a different radio if you have one.

Let me know what you find.

This should be a sticky.

Installing a radio is so simple.

People who do anything electrical in a car without have a test light are making things so much harder than they really are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.