help me out nig nogs

IgnoreMe
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com VIP
caraudio.com
i bought a 12" fi q because ive been bassless for a while. i need to get a box for it now.

ive built countless ported boxes, a few sealed, but right now, i really dont feel like building ****.

so my question is, has anyone tried the "sonic sub box" from sonicelectronix? they got a 1.48 cubic foot sealed box, carpeted, and everything with free shipping, for $25. last time i built a box, it was like $28 for a sheet of mdf, then you gotta buy screws, then you gotta buy glue, then you gotta cut it, then you gotta build it, and then i never put carpet on it so i rode around with a plain mdf box. so i can get this box for cheaper than if i bought all the materials for it myself and spent the time cutting and **** to get it all together.

assuming they arent lying, with the q installed id be at ~1.3 cubic feet which is perfect since thats exactly what i was going to build.

so here is the question: who has used these, and are they constructed well?

i did a search and found one person that said they are solidly constructed. anyone else agree?

ps: dont tell me to build my own. i wont unless i seriously cant do it the easy way.

Prefab boxes get a bad reputation, but honestly, in sealed situations, so long as it meets the internal volume requirements and is built well (3/4 mdf etc) its hard to get wrong. I wouldnt worry too much about a prefab sealed box if its the right size, and built well. If you already know this and are just asking if its 'built well', my apologies.

Prefab boxes get a bad reputation, but honestly, in sealed situations, so long as it meets the internal volume requirements and is built well (3/4 mdf etc) its hard to get wrong. I wouldnt worry too much about a prefab sealed box if its the right size, and built well. If you already know this and are just asking if its 'built well', my apologies.
essentially yes, im just asking if its built well. i just dont want to find out the box is glued together using hot glue...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

but yea, box volume after putting the q in would be perfect, they claim to use 3/4" mdf, looks like they seal them well from the picture. its made by a company called "onix" but im still having trouble finding anyone that has any claims on its build quality.

if i wanted to go ported, i wouldnt have even made this thread, just would of tacked another one onto the box building belt

Dude I would have brought my sealed box If I knew. It's bare MDF but at least you could listen to it!!!
yea lol, i didnt even think to ask for it. i would of offered up some extra cash. its all good though.

link to box? i cant find the one your describing
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7567_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1SL12-1.4+-BLACK+CARPET-.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8387_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1SL12-1.4++-GRAY+CARPET-.html

to the eye they seem ok, but who knows. if i dont get an answer, i guess ill be the guinea pig.

edit: **** it, im buying it.

Lol man they're so cheap just give it a try. I ran with a 1.2 cube prefab from millionbuy for almost a year with no problems at all. It was perfect for my RL-p, I just wish I could have given it more power.

yea lol, i didnt even think to ask for it. i would of offered up some extra cash. its all good though.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7567_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1SL12-1.4+-BLACK+CARPET-.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8387_Sonic+Sub+Box-+1SL12-1.4++-GRAY+CARPET-.html

to the eye they seem ok, but who knows. if i dont get an answer, i guess ill be the guinea pig.

edit: **** it, im buying it.
I figure worst case scenario you get it, are worried it doesn't look strong enough, or sealed, so you have to add an internal brace or run some caulking around the corners.
Good luck.

Hold up........ You callin' us niggers?
whoa whoa whoa bro, who said anything about the N word. i said nig nogs.
I figure worst case scenario you get it, are worried it doesn't look strong enough, or sealed, so you have to add an internal brace or run some caulking around the corners.
Good luck.
id say, worse comes to worse, i can save somebody else some money. besides, ill be kind of stoked to have a carpetted box finally after all these years

Good luck.
I'm sure the enclosure will hold pretty well at first for the first year. as for bracing I doubt i will be needed especially for a bot for a 12. The only time I would begin to worry about the enclosures seal sections would be after a year or so.

I'm sure the enclosure will hold pretty well at first for the first year. as for bracing I doubt i will be needed especially for a bot for a 12. The only time I would begin to worry about the enclosures seal sections would be after a year or so.
A poorly built box with leaky corners will leak from day one. And yes, Im speaking from experience. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

how do you guys feel about the terminal cups? do those have a tendency to leak at all?

i usually just ran my wires out the port, and in the sealed box i went through the box and sealed it up with caulking.

how do you guys feel about the terminal cups? do those have a tendency to leak at all?
i usually just ran my wires out the port, and in the sealed box i went through the box and sealed it up with caulking.
Screw-in type cups are much better than those cheap ass push-in style cups. Some still leak through the wire connections themselves, but Im not familiar with that particular cup. In any event, believe it or not sealed boxes tend to have less performance problems from small leaks like that than do ported boxes. I wouldn't worry about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.