Help Me Identify This Underhung Subwoofer

Participant count
  • Participant list

donpisto
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
I owned this 10" sub back in the 2000's. It's an underhung that I got from (can't recall his username) Brandon, who got it probably from Thilo at TC Sounds. I ended up selling the sub I think to Kyle over there after I blew it running a test one. I'm pretty sure it was a prototype, but can anyone identify it as being pretty much identical to a driver they've seen? I've been wanting this sub for a while. It's got great SQ, got loud off 750w in 0.7 cu. ft. sealed (with an air leak)...135 dB on the TL, not too shabby. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Looks like a nice little MASS prototype!

Although, aside from the cone, it looks a lot like the original underhung TC drivers from waaaaaay back when they only offered a few different designs. Mid 90's?

Yes I remember those Audiomobiles. I had 3 of them, but they didn't get near as loud. The MASS was SQ oriented and had a cone looking mag if I remember right.

Shoot, I'd love to get my hands on something similar. Possible to mimic a build ya think?

I know exactly what you mean, those things sound incredible.

If you can manage to find a MASS motor, I have an OEM TC coil for it that I can sell you for a reasonable price. You'll want to be picky about the spider, not too stiff. Other than that, frame and cone should be easy enough to find.

Looking for a Crystal CMP motor might be worth your time as well.

Funny, I was considering a Crystal CMP, never owned but I liked how they sounded before I was into audio. I didn't realize it utilized an underhung motor. I'm definitely going to look for a MASS and/or CMP/CMPx (I think x had the dual slug you're referring to). I'll definitely take you up on that offer for the spider once I can get my hands on some motors....

Funny, I was considering a Crystal CMP, never owned but I liked how they sounded before I was into audio. I didn't realize it utilized an underhung motor. I'm definitely going to look for a MASS and/or CMP/CMPx (I think x had the dual slug you're referring to). I'll definitely take you up on that offer for the spider once I can get my hands on some motors....
Yeah, the CMPx2 has dual slugs but I believe it's overhung. Should still be a great candidate for underhung.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.