help me fix my problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

nwo504
10+ year member

I have a few problems with my system. whomever installed my amp must have run out of 4ga power wire because they taped it to some 8 ga wire before it reaches the amp.

1. my right speakers don't work anymore for some reason. I checked my wires and everything seems fine.

2. my tweeters cut out when the volume is low or when I hit a bump. I assume the ground is loose.

3. dimming lights (i had the exact same system in my last car(which was the same) with no dimming at all.) maybe the power wire?

4. subs cut out after awhile.

I have the sub and hi amp grounded in the same spot. I also have the two amps on a distribution block.

what do you suggest I fix??

upgrade big 3 under the hood... you seem to have problems with everything... so i'd rerun speaker wires... rca's... redo your whole power wire... i'd run 1/0 gauge back to a distro block and then split it off to your amps from that... run new rca's... run new speaker wire as well

Yeah, i'd rerun everything and do it right this time. 1/0 to a fused distro block, 2 or 4 ga to the amps, 12ga to mid highs, 10 ga to the subs.

To problem #1 what happens when you switch RCA's (take L and place in R) does the right speaker work now? If yes, you have bad RCA or HU. No - switch speaker wire outs on the amp, IF that does not work, you have wire problem. Run new wire.

#2 what are the tweeters connected to that just they would cut out when you hit a bump?

#3 Upgrade grounds at the chassis to battery

#4 your power wire - any splice in it is bad. 4 Gauge might be ok for the system you list, if run properly... ie good grounds, dist block and solid connections. Wire gauge is important, but if you bad connections your still going to have problems

does the size of my gorund matter? I have a 8 ga ground running off my audiobahn and 4 ga power wire but the sub cuts out a lot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.