Help me finish my build!!

PassatPSI

Ewing
Well, I'm really just beginning.. However, I have made a few purchases for my new system, and just need a little advice on finishing it out.

First, I am a newbie to the site, and I'd call myself a car audio newbie as well. This will be my second system, first I'm going to install myself.

My Car: 1999 Passat Sedan 1.8t

What I've bought:

2 SA-10s (4ohm)

MB Quart ONYX 1500.1D

Audio Enhancers KV10D Ported Enclosure

What I need still:

4 6.5" speakers

4 channel amp

Wiring

Sound Deadening?

This is where I need help. As this is my first install, I am expecting to run into a few problems. However, I figured swallowing my pride and asking for help on here might yield me the best results.

(1) I've already spent a ton of money on the subs/monoamp/box, and only want to spend around $400 more for what I still need. Can this be done?

(1) 6.5" speaker recommendations? (coax or component?/brand/etc.)

(2) 4 ch amp recommendations?

(3) How much/what wiring am I going to need? (I don't even have any wires yet, ANY)

(4) Do I need sound dampening (I'm thinking I will..) Where do I install it, and how much will I need?

(5) I need to know more about fuses. I don't even know what I don't know.. Crash course/link?

If I'm asking stupid questions, I'm sorry and feel free to flame. I just need help guys so I don't have to be on here making a million- "I blew my subs help!!!11!!11!!" threads in a month..

Thanks in advance,

PassatPSI

wow you like most people worked backwards and blew your load on sub stage..

Lets see if we can pull you out here..

1. Do you mind going used?

2. You should settle on a decent front set of speakers and drop the rears Especially in that small of a car you won't need the rears..

3.wiring depends on where you mount your amps.. measure the path and give yourself and extra 5 ft to be safe..

4. Fusing.. Fusing depends on a multitude of things.. You never fuse higher than your wire is capable.. I suggest people to fuse at the amp rating as long as it is below that of the wire.. this means that it will pop if the amp surges and gives you a little more protection for your amp.. you want to fuse within 18" of the battery and anywhere you split the wire.. I.e going from 1/0 to two 4 gauges you need to have fuses at both starts of the 4gauge.

I sell fuses pretty cheap if you need any.. I carry 100agu 150anl 200anl 250anl 300anl..

5. Sound deadening.. I would recommend at a minimum doing the front doors.. 4"x4"- 6"x6" squares covering 25% of the door should work.. do the door skin and inside panel..

so my recommendations.. find a nice set of $200 components.. one set.. used will get you better speakers obviously just make sure they are trustworthy..

find a $100 or less used amp.. I would suggest 2 x 100+watts @4ohms

whatever money left over should cover the wiring.. you will need probably 17-20ft 1/0 to get to the trunk depending where you mount the amp.. probably 15 ft to the speaker amp if its under seat.. 8 ga should be fine.. remember grounds should be under 24" so add that to the wire totals.. you will need rcas and remote wire as well.. 2 2 channel rcas or if the amps are mounted close together a 4 channel set should work.. 14 ga speaker wire should be fine.. I would suggest a 25ft spool.. usually cheap(under $20)

now if you have any money left or want to drop another 50 or so get some deadener..

Last edited by a moderator:
For budget comps... I recommend the Pioneer TS D1720c to anyone! with a nice 100x2 (they will take even more) amp as stated before. To get the best midbass you will need to seal and deaden your doors but you can decide if you really want to do all of that later.

Just focus on your amp, speakers and wires for now. With $400, i dont see it being too hard. especially if you go used. You can get those Pioneers for 109 shipped brand new.

wow you like most people worked backwards and blew your load on sub stage..
Lets see if we can pull you out here..

1. Do you mind going used? Don't want to buy used

2. You should settle on a decent front set of speakers and drop the rears Especially in that small of a car you won't need the rears.. Have done some research and decided that I am going to drop the rears and focus only on the fronts.

3.wiring depends on where you mount your amps.. measure the path and give yourself and extra 5 ft to be safe.. What about "amp install kits"? Or do I just buy wiring separately? Any company recommendations?

4. Fusing.. Fusing depends on a multitude of things.. You never fuse higher than your wire is capable.. I suggest people to fuse at the amp rating as long as it is below that of the wire.. this means that it will pop if the amp surges and gives you a little more protection for your amp.. you want to fuse within 18" of the battery and anywhere you split the wire.. I.e going from 1/0 to two 4 gauges you need to have fuses at both starts of the 4gauge.

I sell fuses pretty cheap if you need any.. I carry 100agu 150anl 200anl 250anl 300anl.. Honestly, I am somewhat confused by all this. What does it mean to "fuse within 18" of the battery"? I just am so new to this i feel as though i might need a tad more 'splainin than you may have originally thought ha

5. Sound deadening.. I would recommend at a minimum doing the front doors.. 4"x4"- 6"x6" squares covering 25% of the door should work.. do the door skin and inside panel..

so my recommendations.. find a nice set of $200 components.. one set.. used will get you better speakers obviously just make sure they are trustworthy..

find a $100 or less used amp.. I would suggest 2 x 100+watts @4ohms

whatever money left over should cover the wiring.. you will need probably 17-20ft 1/0 to get to the trunk depending where you mount the amp.. probably 15 ft to the speaker amp if its under seat.. 8 ga should be fine.. remember grounds should be under 24" so add that to the wire totals.. you will need rcas and remote wire as well.. 2 2 channel rcas or if the amps are mounted close together a 4 channel set should work.. 14 ga speaker wire should be fine.. I would suggest a 25ft spool.. usually cheap(under $20)

now if you have any money left or want to drop another 50 or so get some deadener..
Answers/responses/questions in bold..

I don't mean to bump an old-ish thread, I was gone with my wife for our anniversary weekend and didn't have a chance to post.

Thanks!

For budget comps... I recommend the Pioneer TS D1720c to anyone! with a nice 100x2 (they will take even more) amp as stated before. To get the best midbass you will need to seal and deaden your doors but you can decide if you really want to do all of that later.
Just focus on your amp, speakers and wires for now. With $400, i dont see it being too hard. especially if you go used. You can get those Pioneers for 109 shipped brand new.
Yep- Amp, Speakers, Wiring is really all I'm thinking about right now. I looked at those Pioneers and they look alright. Anyone else had experiences??

Do you have a recommendation for a 2 Channel? This is where I'm getting stuck right now.

Also, I've been considering Alpine Type R components up front.. Opinions?

As always guys, thanks in advance for the advice.

PassatPSI

up.

Looking at massive audio nx2 right now for my amp. What about massive components? They look good but Im worried about em fitting my passat..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.